Edmunds county southern report

Hockeybob

Just got off the phone with the farmer where we hunt and he did not paint a good picture. He said the SDGF got it right with roadside counts. He said a large hail storm hit the area in July and thinks "it wiped out a lot of chicks".
So much damage was done to to corn crop by the hail that they are cutting some next week for silage. Beans will be all out by opener. He said birds will be way down. UGH!

Do you know how big the area of the hail event was?

I know in my neck of the woods we have never been affected by hail since being there since 2002. Although I have driven by an area hit hard twice since then in an area between Parkston and Mitchell. Even the crop insurance folks recognize these areas as "hail alleys".

I would venture to say that in any given year less than 1% of the state is affected by hail.

It really pays to know the local weather in your pheasant spots.

Do you know how big the area of the hail event was?

I know in my neck of the woods we have never been affected by hail since being there since 2002. Although I have driven by an area hit hard twice since then in an area between Parkston and Mitchell. Even the crop insurance folks recognize these areas as "hail alleys".

I would venture to say that in any given year less than 1% of the state is affected by hail.

It really pays to know the local weather in your pheasant spots.

Any hail reports from ur pheasant camp in faulk county u guide??? Hope not...

I'm not pushing the buying of the service! I just posted it as a rough reference to where it hailed in the state versus your hunting area.

Last edited:
Nice. You can subscribe for the small sum of $599. What a deal

It's made for storm chasers, they make up that $600 on one insurance job!;)

After the hail hits it's like a convoy of trucks with ladder racks and people running door to door trying hard to scam as many people as possible.:)

Back