Eating Grass….what?

4shot

Gotta get a new topic going before we all lose our minds🤪. First year I’ve really noticed my dog eating grass. It’s more like he’s licking it looking for a flavor he likes. Read a little bit about it, any insite?

I have one that will graze like a cow, one that will occasionally eat grass, and one that I have never seen eat grass.

Many moons ago I asked an old-time vet if it was true that dogs eat grass when they're sick. His answer was that dogs eat grass because they like it. The blades get stuck in the back of their throat and makes them throw up. So that's where eating it because their sick came from. Sometimes we look for answers for things we don't understand when the simplest most obvious IS the answer.

One seem to vary not only by dog but also by time. Some times a lot almost like they are grazing and other times none. I really don't even notice it now or pay it any attention.

A few things:

A Lab from 20+ years ago ate so much grass one time that it balled up and formed a blockage. She needed surgery to have it removed.

My first Vizsla would INSIST on stopping to eat grass on our morning walks/runs, especially in the spring. She liked the new, fresh shoots of some species of grass. Mowed grass was no good, but a couple days after a rain was prime time! She also liked green wheat. She would eat for a few minutes, then puke, and only then could we continue our walks.

Of the 2 Vizslas I have now, one is almost a copy of the first one. The other will eat a little. Sometimes it seems like she's licking off the dew, sometimes it seems like she's actually eating it.

More than once I've seen them in the back yard struggling with a blade or two of grass hanging out the back end. It's kind of funny to watch them deal with that.

It appears the dog "floss" with grass. Some mornings my one dog would rather stay out and eat grass then kennel up and be fed.

My dog just turned five, and, this is the first year she hasn't come home from the morning run and puked grass out on the floor. Always in the spring.

My older dogs a bundle of nerves. Sometimes she’ll eat grass because I think it tastes good to her other times I think it’s to deal with nervous knots. The other dog has never eaten grass but comes from a breed that is known to swallow about anything. A couple days ago we had to give her some peroxide to induce vomiting because she swallowed a whole sock.

My older dogs a bundle of nerves. Sometimes she’ll eat grass because I think it tastes good to her other times I think it’s to deal with nervous knots. The other dog has never eaten grass but comes from a breed that is known to swallow about anything. A couple days ago we had to give her some peroxide to induce vomiting because she swallowed a whole sock.
Funny you should say that. My Benny, who grazes like a cow, is a very nervous dog. Cash, who just oozes self-confidence, has never eaten a blade of grass to my knowledge.

My dog eats grass sometimes. When she does she usually ends up throwing it up. Had her out in the field this morning for some exercise, I didn't see her eating grass but apparently she did. Got home and she drank a bunch of water then about 30 minutes later she threw up twice. Amazing that when they throw up it's never on the hard surface flooring but always on the carpet or area rug.

My dog eats grass sometimes. When she does she usually ends up throwing it up. Had her out in the field this morning for some exercise, I didn't see her eating grass but apparently she did. Got home and she drank a bunch of water then about 30 minutes later she threw up twice. Amazing that when they throw up it's never on the hard surface flooring but always on the carpet or area rug.

Sage will walk across the linoleum and the hardwood floors to get over to the area rug to puke. I don't even get mad anymore, just grab the spray and a roll of paper towels.

My old Vizsla Abby does the same thing. When she eats grass it normally means she doesn't feel well and will be throwing up within the hour.

Haha this thread is great. I had a shorthair that would only eat grass before a storm. It was more reliable than the weatherman. After she ate it, I could hear her innards from two rooms over while she did a walk only described as the zombies in Thriller before she puked.
Now, after last year’s dry spell, part of my yard was taken over by weeds. Dogs were eating the crap out of them yesterday. Didnt rain. Must just taste good. No puking that I saw.

Back