eastern Nebraska

Anyone hunting eastern Nebraska?

The only thing in east Nebraska is cornhuskers and repulicans! both hard to pin down, tough on the dinner plate, and cantankerous! Sorry, I resisted this for a while, but since no buddy to the bait, I could not resist anymore! I have hunted extensively in SE Nebraska since the 1970's on. We shot countless limits of quail there, and averaged about a hundred pheasants a year. Not now. I still go and remember the great days years past on the property.

Yes sir when I was a young kid it was like that, seems like theres few bird hunter in eastern Neb and more waterfowlers and deer hunters, but that fine by me bird hunter till I die me and my family own land in central Neb so it makes up for it.

I just moved to Nebraska a year ago.Looks like I will be getting me a 4 month old pup to try and give upland a shot.As dry as it was last year the waterfowl wasn't that good..I was wishing I had a bird dog because I did find some pheasant (even though the locals say they dont exist..lol)..I am in central NE,but I travel statewide and out of state as well.

Last edited:
Hello from KY.....

I grew up in NE.....Omaha back in the 70's and 80's. Dad and I spent many days chasing birds in southeast NE. Back then we would hunt around Wahoo, Meade, Beatrice, Wilber and Auburn.....once the CRP program began in 85' bird numbers went way up:) But my friends out that way say numbers are terrible....as clean farming, high grain prices and weather have wrecked havoc on the birds.

Some of the best hunting we found was around Fullerton (near the sandhills) and down in the Republican river valley......the closer we got to Kansas.....the more quail we would encounter......this was over 20 years ago though:eek:

Good luck and I hope you find good habitat to hunt and do not be afraid to knock on some doors and ask for permission to hunt.
HB68

SE NE Pheasants

I grew up a few miles outside Beatrice on a farm. There were still pheasants in the area in '11-'12 season, but the numbers did seem to be down. Didn't pheasant hunt SE NE in '12-'13 season though so I'm not sure what the numbers were like. I don't live in SE NE anymore, but I'm definitely hoping the numbers rebound in the area this year.

I hunt for deer ducks etc pretty regular.I usually hear one or two crow at daylight and in the evenings.I hunted a lot of public here in central NE,and really didn't see many pheasant or anything for that matter lol,but just across the line in KS and in the south western area of NE I saw a good bit.They were on private for the most part.Most all of the crp I visited had been cut to the dirt last year..It was very disappointing to go over that far and the cover was completely gone.My pup seems to be doing ok.He definitely has good prey drive.I just need to get him to focus on pheasant and not skunks,frogs,or lightning bugs lol..That's all the fun part of being a young pup and exploring the world I guess.

i was turkey hunting public land in the central part of NE vague info i know but not on the southern border with KS i will say that much & i did hear alot of pheasants & bob white quail turkey also but you have to hunt wear there is still pheasant habitat left my friend... if you only hear 1 or 2 pheasants while duck/deer hunting then you need another area to pheasant hunt... i was hearing 3-6 roosters from our camp each morning then another 3-6 EZ while out walking to & from a small area while hunting im sure there was many more around it was nice habitat... we herd a dozen bob white quail whistle each morning from camp then would kick up another 3-8 while out walking around also it was insane for me i didnt hear that many birds ever in KS & i hunt turkey in KS in great pheasant/quail habitat & range... same goes for wear i turkey hunt in western OK... you have it good in central NE upland game bird hunting wise...

i herd so many turkey pheasant & bob white quail im thinking of heading to NE this fall for a combo turkey, pheasant, quail ,prairie grouse hunt!!! did see some sharpies with in a 30-45 min drive so...

your NE season opens much later then my MN pheasant season so it may be in my cards to hit NE this season i would head to that public land a day or so prior to the pheasant season & turkey hunt & hold down the area so i get a prime area wear the pheasants/quail are... so i may want to share a hunt??? i will keep in touch & let u know if & when i would be down in NE...

i have a 14 month old small munsterlander so i want to get her on as many birds as i can so if MN has a bunch of birds this season witch we should have i may just have to stick close to home & get her on wild pheasants here in MN...??? im close to ND & SD could even do MT so i i will have to wait till the early-late pheasant reports come out for each state & see what i want to do...

sorry to ramble but there is hope for you boys in NE there is still pheasants around maybe not as many as in the hay day but if you find the habitat you will find the birds... there is alot of habitat inhancement programs going on in NEs pheasant range on both public & private lands so thats wear id focus...

good luck & happy hunting you NE boys

P.S how are the turkeys around your guys parts of the state im always looking for spring turkey hunting buddys thats my true passion spring turkey hunting...

If you are willing to work hard you can still kill a few roosters here and there. A good hunting dog is an absolute must though. Try the public hunting around Bee, Brainerd and Staplehurst. Everyone says there are no birds so you probably will have the place to yourself. Good Luck!!

Back