Early Season Reports

adrnln8

Just got home to Denver this afternoon from a 9-day road trip through the pheasant hot-spots in Colorado - Burlington, Yuma, Holyoke - trip was decent but tough-going as expected. I'm walking through my house like I just finished an ironman with a heifer strapped to my back. You should see our dogs, I don't think they're gonna wag tail at us ever again, they've figured out how to lock themselves in their kennels. Anyways, we know it's another drought year and there are also reports of a 2nd hatch this year. (2nd hatch isn't necessarily good. It means the first hatch didn't survive so the birds' instincts led them to have a 2nd hatch) Our group hunted both WIA (walk-in access) and private land and every single rooster harvested came from private land. The WIA land was in such bad shape, we drove past most of them, but I'll get to my thoughts on that in a bit. Over those 9 days we took 15 roosters and saw a total of 26. We only saw 19 hens.

In all the areas, I would say about 85% of the corn is down/harvested. Surprisingly, we found a lot of fields with standing corn and you could hear the roosters in there, laughing at you every evening when the sun went down. If you come across standing corn, my advice is to go somewhere else where there isn't standing corn or get permission to hunt the standing corn, the birds are in there and have no reason to leave. I would also advise everyone to hunt with a dog, even if the dog isn't a professionally trained bird dog. With numbers so low, you need every advantage you can get.

Burlington - 3 days, 4 roosters. WIA land was nothing to brag about, we found 3 locations that were barely worth walking, didn't kick any pheasants up. WIA we hunted was all around Stratton, one by Kansas on G. Roosters that we harvested all came out of private land wind-rows, adjacent to corn fields. Seems to be more milo in this area, a magnet for pheasants. Farmers I spoke with are not seeing anything close to what they consider average pheasant numbers. Burlington area is definitely hurting.

Yuma - 4 days, 8 roosters (well we only actually shot 7, my catahoula grabbed a rooster as it rose from the field). 4 roosters came from a corn field being harvested that we got to sit at the end of, 4 came from a milo/grass mix field that we hunted two days in a row. WIA land was abyssmal, it seems to get hit so hard that there are actually "hunter trails" that look like game trails going through the ragweed. We took a two hour lunch break one day after walking a grass WIA field and watched a group come walk it right after us, then another group, then another! It got pounded by 4 groups within 2 hours, and it wasn't close to any towns or main roads. This was very typical for all the WIA in Yuma County - close to Denver so it attracts day hunters, brats, rich folk and newbies. At another field we watched a group pull up in a mercedes SUV, a guy leaned his shotgun up against the car, it fell over and fired off pointed down the road! Lucky for them it wasn't pointed in our direction or we would have had a serious problem. We were at the Main Event Bar and Grill in Yuma one night with 3 landowners I know, I asked them how often they get approached by pheasant hunters and how they feel about it. Well, the locals have a little game they like to call 38 L (that isn't the name because I don't want to ruin the joke), and they walked me through it. They get asked permission to hunt private land, "Yes, thanks for asking first, I have a great spot, hunt the southwest corner of the intersection at 38 L, you're sure to bag a handful of roosters there." They informed me that it's just outside of Yuma right next to the big feedlots and no one has ever seen a pheasant in there. Thin, grass field riddled with cactus, we drove past it on our way to Holyoke and sure enough, the pungent aroma from the 100k head of cows next door was too much for us to handle. I'd rather stick my nose inside a turtle shell. The Yuma area provided us with the most birds, but we also had perfect land to hunt. Pheasant numbers in Yuma are way, way down.

Holyoke - 2 days, 3 roosters. WINDY! What a brutal couple of days we had in Holyoke. The tumbleweeds actually hurt when they hit you because the wind was whipping so fast. The dogs were even dodging the tumbleweeds! WIA land around Holyoke was much more pheasant friendly than other areas of the state, but every pheasant hunter knows this and boy do they get pounded like a cold one on a hot day. We spent 1 full day hunting WIA land to bag zero roosters and we hunted it hard. We saw a lot of pheasants bombing out of fields because they probably winded us, but we're not counting them in our numbers due to how far away they were and we couldn't tell the sex anyways. The roosters we harvested came from 3 different fields. One in the habitat corner of a corn field, one from a narrow strip of corn that our friend left standing, one from the terrible thorn bushes behind a wind row. The pheasant numbers are OK in Holyoke, but still nothing like they used to be. It was not a fun or exciting hunt in Holyoke at all, we were all pretty saddened by how badly the numbers have tanked.

As I mentioned before, the drought and weather conditions are obviously taking a heavy toll on pheasant numbers, but I don't put a majority of the blame on the weather. I'm very close with a number of large farms and landowners in all three areas, we are extremely fortunate to have their permission to hunt their land. After having dinner or a conversation with all of them, the general consensus is that landowners are fed up with pheasant hunters and especially ones who hunt WIA land. They leave shells, trash and beer cans, drive through fields, hunt fields while cattle are present or hunt while farming operations are going on. All things that pheasant hunters should absolutely never do! Farmers and landowners have had it with these "trashier, disrespectful" group of pheasant hunters and they are beginning to only donate their worst and most useless parcels to the WIA Program. WIA land used to only be accessible if you paid an extra WIA fee, and I thought this was great. The land was incredible, we usually limited out every day and only came across a couple other groups of hunters every trip. Colorado DOW should never have let everyone hunt WIA land for free, they need to go back to charging a fee. All you responsible, mature, respectful bird hunters out there need to help spread the word because these dingbats are going to ruin it for all of us. If you see this kind of behavior going on, grow a pair and say something. If you know someone new to pheasant hunting, take them with you so you can teach them proper etiquette! They also need to know to NEVER hunt private land without asking, not even a ditch along a road. Only a few years ago, most farmers would gladly give permission when asked, but that is changing drastically. Most doors and phones are slamming now. Quit pissing off the farmers, without their support pheasant hunting is doomed, period.

Ok, sorry for the rant, I had to. Hope my report gives some good info to you guys, I'd love to know how anyone else does. It's going to be a very rough year, don't plan on limiting out and do plan to work extra hard for the roosters you do happen to come across. I plan on making another short trip the first week in December and early January (if the dogs will come). Happy Hunting.

Last edited:
I could not agree more on the wai permit!...the last couple of years sincs they did away with it has been frustrating after so many good years of success!

Agreed

No need to apologize. Your "rant" is simply speaking the truth. During my last trip, I must of picked up a case worth of cheap beer and pop cans, candy wrappers etc from around the few WIAs we walked or checked out. The WIA program still has some quality fields enrolled, I usually don't get out into the until late in the year, but this year they seem to have a lot less cover in them, holding very few birds. I'd be glad to pay into the program for continued quality public access.
Landowners are still overall nice folks, most I stop and have a conversation with are usually agreeable as long as you respect their boundaries.

Committed hunting and a good rant; congratulations. I have hunted Holyoke a lot over the last 4 years. I am respectful, generous and thankful hunter. I have only received permission to hunt private land one time. I have become friendly with the rancher and his family. They're great people - I attended the Philips County Pheasants Forever dinner with them two weeks ago.

I have received "no" a dozen times. Admittedly, I have a complex now.

I am heading out with a few guys this weekend - all public land. It could be their last weekend as I am not confident that we will have success. Pride and I will hunt the rest of the year (probably by myself which is fine). I hunt hard and will eventually catch a few roosters off guard!

Thanks for the report. Funny you mention the 38L in Yuma. I am pretty sure that myself and a buddy got suckered by that :mad::mad: several years ago.

Now mind you I was active duty Air Force. I had actually never hunted pheasants in Colorado until a few years ago. The reason, well I never needed to because I have been hunting out in Kansas with access to more private land than you could hunt in a week. I have been hunting out there since 1996. So I really never needed to spend the $$ on everything when I could just drive a few hours further, shoot 4 birds a day and get in more shooting in in 3 days than I could in a full season in Colorado.

The guys that old us about that 38L actually gave us a pheasant that they had shot (we met them at the rooster cafe or some place like that in Yuma, if that is right). I have never been back after that.

I have hunted in Colorado since, thanks to some awesome guys on this forum. I have met several good guys on here.

Good for you to have access to places in Colorado. It is a shame that so few have ruined it for so many in this state. I know I would feel the same way if I was a farmer or rancher out east somewhere.

In fact I recall a discussion we had on here a while back with a few guys who grew up out east and things went back and forth about this and that.

When we were out in Burlington opening weekend doing the roundup, I had my son with me, 14yrs old, and he threw some trash on the ground. I said, pick that up....put it in your pocket and throw it in the trash later. I do not litter and especially on other people's property. I also pick up my hulls when I remember. It is just common decency and respect.

I try to raise my kids the same way.

My son and I are heading to KS this weekend for our annual hunt. I have access to over 25,000 acres of private ground from one guy I know and another guy I have acess to about 10,000 acres. With a mixture of milo, corn, wheat, CRP....etc

By the way, good looking black dog you have there. I love labs, I have two yellows (one pointing lab) and a chocolate. My buddy has a new pup, his first black lab, he has had chocolates over the years.

You know why there are so many black labs, right? Because anyone can train a black dog ;):p:D

Good luck the rest of the season and thanks for the report....

Greg

I just can't fathom leaving garbage at some road side hunting spot. I check the ground when I'm packing up to make sure nothing fell out. I would never leave anything in some guys field. I know you aren't supposed to even clean birds in WIAs and I found one spot last fall where someone cleaned two roosters and left legs, guts, and heads laying in the ditch. You know what they say, it is the few who ruin it for the many.

Any of you guys ever try the Banner Lakes SWA? Thinking of stopping there Sunday but not so much to find birds as it would be to run the dog some more.

By the way, good looking black dog you have there. I love labs, I have two yellows (one pointing lab) and a chocolate. My buddy has a new pup, his first black lab, he has had chocolates over the years.

Thanks Greg. She's actually a Catahoula, I get that a lot so no worries. If you saw her build and the rest of her body you could see the difference between her and a lab. But, you're right, I do love labs, my extended family has had 23 different labs since I was born, nothing compares to a lab. People think I'm nuts, but I do all my hunting with Catahoulas. Unmatched intelligence and ability to multi-task paired with the aggressive drive of a hyena, you wouldn't believe it until you saw it and then you still wouldn't believe it. Great bird dog, great all-around utility dog.

Unfortunately, nothing surprises me about people these days. I was parking in the garage where I work a few months back. As I was driving in, in one of the parking spots someone had opened their car door and put all of their McDonalds trash on the ground. On top of that, they had taken their ashtray and dumped the contents next to the McDonalds trash. Now what is going through that persons mind at that moment that they think this is an acceptable thing to do? I guess there is no fixing dumb/stupid people. I guess it all boils down to how you were raised and the values that were imparted on you by your family.

Scott

Awesome report :thumbsup:

I am exceptionaly thankful for all the details. Seems very few people are willing to reveal areas they hunt especially when they are successful. As a newbie, it is nice to hear some experiences that I can get a guess of where I may want to hunt next. Sure seems like the best/only places to hunt are private and you have to know someone. Guess thats like with most of life though.
As a new hunter with little help from experienced hunters, only 1 friend who hunts birds, The story of the farmers misleading people is fairly unnearving. I understand there are alot of idiots out there doing alot of stupid shit, but doing it right back just seams harsh.

Either way, I'm headed out to holyoke this Sunday, my second hunt ever. I will take care to respect the land and the owners!

I bet they'd spend that money trying to establish an exotic species of African partridge in an area where they are 99% certain to die. Cut the DOW some slack. :D

Are you two the ones leaving behind all the beer cans?!?!:confused:

Good Post adrnln8, especially the harvest and observation details. A few comments, meant only to add my perspective to the thread...

1. While you likely know this, you said the landowners "donate" their lands which is not true. The WIA lands are leased from the landowners by CPW, paid for through sportsman dollars.

2. Not sure where the day hunter, brat, rich folk, newbee bias comes from but I am at least two of those things...seems like some sort of indication that one is not worthy unless they do a 9 day extended hunt. I think hunter recruitment is a CPW objective, brats included...(no hot dogs though)...

3. I'm disturbed to hear the landowner story about 38L...that's where I've hunted for years...seriously, though, Do these landowners wish that pheasant hunters would just disappear? If the hunting gets much worse, that will happen. From the looks of main street in Yuma, Holyoke, and Burlington, I'm guessing business owners probably don't agree with these landowner friends of yours. Yes, I agree 100% on your points about disrespecting these lands...no different than walking the edge of Eleven Mile reservoir and picking up BAGS of trash...where and how were these people raised? I won't question your observations but I have hunted three days so far this season, exclusively on WIA and recall one power bar wrapper and one 20 gauge empty that looked like it had been there for years. My observation was that hunters appear to be following the Rules and using good etiquette.

4. I have friends that are farmers and ranchers and have been fortunate to have been allowed to hunt. But many folks do not have access. And the WIA program is meant to help provide decent quality hunting to the masses. With that comes a few problems, most which are not too serious to fix. Remember, CRP lands are also supported by Federal tax dollars. Without much effort, you can also easily find out the exact dollar amount that farmers and ranchers receive in Federal subsidies. While farmers and ranchers are an independent lot, most receive help in one form or another, right, wrong, or otherwise. I'm sure that Pheasants Forever and the CPW hate hearing stories about landowners berating the general public because of a few bad hedge apples...

Now for my report...three days, NE Colorado, all WIA properties...bagged one bird, missed one that surprised us and three dogs...saw VERY few hens...hunted a number of really good CRP fields...saw a number of roosters along the roads (did not attempt to shoot, although it was hard). And, flushed 4...yes 4 roosters at once from tall cover on WIA land...two miles east and one mile south of 38L...:)

I'll be continuing to hunt till Jan 31...good luck to all.

Good Post adrnln8, especially the harvest and observation details. A few comments, meant only to add my perspective to the thread...

. . . I'll be continuing to hunt till Jan 31...good luck to all.

1. Pardon me for my loose use of words, you are correct in the land being leased, obviously. Either way, landowners are "giving, donating, leasing, whatever" their least valuable parcels and that was the point I was trying to make. I would honestly say we covered 95% of the WIA fields in Kit Carson, Yuma, Philips and Sedgewick counties and only a handful had the potential to hold birds. These were all fields that have been in the WIA program for 5+ years according to my records. Most fields in the WIA program that CPW has access to are not worth getting out of the car for. Don't know what you or CPW sees, but I'm not hunting freshly plowed dirt looking for a rooster to jump up in front of me. I can tell you where all those fields are on my geo-maps, you're welcome to have at it.

2. I appreciate the jab, perhaps I struck a nerve, my apologies. I'm not alone when I say I've been annoyed more than once when a group pulls up in a hummer or Cayenne Turbo(could be any vehicle, if you didn't take it personally you'd understand I'm ranting about hunter behavior, not what they drive!), empty cans and trash fall out, slamming doors, shotguns firing off unintentionally, walking fields that my group is already in or setting up a row of blockers at the end of a field we are working. Not sure where they or yourself learned hunting etiquette, but that kind of crap isn't welcome anywhere. Who cares about the background of these hunters I'm talking about, sorry you took that personally and that's all you got from the rant. I'm all for spreading the hunting experience to friends, family, youth and less fortunate (outdoorbuddies.org) to the sport, as fellow hunters, we need the support. But the correct way to teach and introduce hunting to new folks involves ethics, morals and etiquette. Brush up.

3. I agree, I don't like hearing these things, but it's happening and there are other hunters out there that are giving everybody a bad rap. There is real truth to the unwanted news that some landowners are getting fed up. Yes, just think about how much revenue Yuma, Holyoke, Burly grab due to pheasant hunting, they need it! And they want to keep supporting pheasant hunting, just not the actions of some pheasant hunters now days. We've got to spread the word about proper hunting, and that's all my rant is about. Just the other day I called my buddy in Burlington to check on conditions and the status of standing corn again. He told me that twice in one day while he was on his combine, a group of hunters stopped him to ask permission to hunt his land. One group drove into the cornfield, up to his moving combine! I don't care what you think, he didn't like that at all and it's 100% unacceptable behavior. And no offense, but maybe you're eyes have become accustomed to the amount of trash littered throughout WIA fields. I should have taken a picture of all the grocery bags we filled up at each field, dropped a placement pin with an attached picture on my geo-map so I could prove it to you.

4. I agree, but the WIA land is going downhill fast compared to what it used to be. Simple solution is to charge a WIA fee again, a majority of CO pheasant hunters are in support of that. You bet your rear Pheasants Forever cares about this, but does CPW?

We're heading out for another road trip after thanksgiving and we will keep hunting like there's not tomorrow because the rush of the flush is in our blood. Happy Thanksgiving to all you turkeys and good luck!!!

Back