E Collar question

wolfcreeknc

Hello all, I am somewhat new to having a pointing dog and have a question on the e-collars. Presently our brittney has an invisible fence containing him to our yard. If I were to get an e-collar with a mild shock for correction will this totally confuse him in the field and make him think he is in a invisible fence environment? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I don't have experience with this exact issue, but I would guess not.

I would bet on the fact that he will learn the difference quickly as long as you use it with discretion.

Chuck

I have a buddy that uses both an invisible fence and a ecollar and they work just fine. The only problem that he had was when using a beeper collar, when the collar would beep the dog would run back to his side becasue it was the same sound that his invisible fence collar made.

I just wanted to thank all those who offered their insight into this situation. I believe I will get one but only for reinforcement of his training.
Best to all!

Good call.

Dogs are situational learners.

The ONLY time that this could pose a problem is when you forget to remove the invisible fence collar from him when pulling out the drive to go hunting. :eek:

GSP, that would truly be a problem!
Funny story, years ago when I had a Golden Retriever he was getting used to the fence. He busted out and was in the neighbor’s yard and I realized he was getting shocked by the neighbor’s fence too. So I went over to him and I took the collar off and stuck it in my back pocket….bad idea! Ouch, thought a bee was stinging me at first when I crossed the line!

As with any E-collar use regardless of whether the dog is conditioned to an e Fence or not is to condition the dog to the e-collar, ALWAYS...

Dog must absolutely know the command verbally before you even try to condition the dog to the collar. Lots of good info around on collar conditioning. Read up first or talk to a pro about it.

I have both and no problems.

Little related story. We have a fox that likes to tease the dogs in the neighboorhood since everyone has invisible fences. it will even come up and poop on decks at night.I haven't used the collars in a while and the dogs run into the forest once in a while but my fox issue is solved :thumbsup::D

I don't think it will be a problem......Bob

Back