Dumb,slow,pen raised birds.

When wild pheasant see a hunter,they fly.These pen raised dumb birds just walk in the ditch.They don't seem very concerned.

That's been my experience too. I've only ever encountered a released flare nare when pheasant hunting once in 25 years. It had a band on one of its legs and was clearly not very smart.

I've been to a game farm twice where they released a bunch half an hour before we got there. I only went there to train my dog because it guaranteed success with a bunch of really dumb, slow birds. It was very obvious that these flare nares have no wild instincts. I even had one fly into a tree and knock itself stone dead. Guess they don't know much about the landscape when they grow up in a barn.

I don't quite understand how anyone who shoots pen raised birds can think its even remotely close to hunting. Its not. They act more like domesticated poultry. Plus game farms charge like 25 bucks/bird too.

The only reason I'd go back is to train a dog. And I'd never brag about it either.

That's been my experience too. I've only ever encountered a released flare nare when pheasant hunting once in 25 years. It had a band on one of its legs and was clearly not very smart.

I've been to a game farm twice where they released a bunch half an hour before we got there. I only went there to train my dog because it guaranteed success with a bunch of really dumb, slow birds. It was very obvious that these flare nares have no wild instincts. I even had one fly into a tree and knock itself stone dead. Guess they don't know much about the landscape when they grow up in a barn.

I don't quite understand how anyone who shoots pen raised birds can think its even remotely close to hunting. Its not. They act more like domesticated poultry. Plus game farms charge like 25 bucks/bird too.

The only reason I'd go back is to train a dog. And I'd never brag about it either.
I do the same. I use preserves for dog training.

My dad paid fir a preserve near Dixon south Dakota. I think we stayed 4 nights.Yhey took us out in a b I g bus.I was looking at wall pics,and it was all executives from big cities.In other words,wealthy guys that don't hunt much.We were there in march.No other hunters on sight.

Back