Duck calls?

Got a duck call question, I know, pheasant hunting forum. Just seems to be a lot of dheads on the duck forums. My question is, what type of call to get, if any. Currently I have the promo type calls you get from DU, they quack pretty good, but like always, new season new gear. I hunt back water sloughs off the lakes so a long distance call is not needed. If ducks arn't there, I will find where they want to be. These are the ducks I usually get into and in this order. Gadwall, green wing teal and widgon. So, is a quacking call really useful, or should I just get better with the teal whistle? Seems all the duck calls are designed around a hen mallard. Have not ever seen a mallard while hunting.

Thanks,
K2

I use a Maurillo whistle and even use it on late season Mallards and it works good. They have heard all the quacks by late season. I just make teal, Pintail, Widgeon and Woody sounds with it. Mine is wood and I am not sure you can find them in wood any longer. They were making them in plastic a few years ago. The Morewhistle is a takeoff of what I have

I use a Maurillo whistle and even use it on late season Mallards and it works good. They have heard all the quacks by late season. I just make teal, Pintail, Widgeon and Woody sounds with it.

I'm going to give this one a try Bleu. Thanks for the tip:thumbsup:

Nick

Great Idea I might have to try it thanks Blu.

Aaron Wingert of Wingertswoodworks.com makes some fine wooden whistles. I have used mine quite a bit and been really pleased.
405817551.jpg

Out of this little piece of wood comes teal, widgeon, pintail, and mallard drake.
His prices are very reasonable, but his lead time can be a while, depending on the seasons.
Great guy to work with and a fine product!!
BobMc

I have old Loman wood duck call. Works pretty good. I just bought a Duck Commander teal call. Works well for a inexpensive call.

I have hunted ducks all my life and nearly everyday of the season. IMO with out a doubt the ECHO Timber call is the best mallard type call.You can get a wood acrylic starting around $55 and go all the way up to a $150. Easy to blow and a nice raspy ducky call. You will not be disappointed.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Echo...ferralID=63f251eb-2ce7-11e3-a88a-001b2166becc

Last edited:
Back