Dry spell

onpoint

It's been quit sometime since I bought a gun. The erg is there, just no money to scratch that erg. Not like me to run this long without a purchase or trade. About 6 months I would guess, maybe more. I don't see things changing anytime too soon. Money is tight.

How long has it been since you bought/traded for a new(to you) gun?

Going on about 11 months without for me.. I sent the wife out to the gun safe last night to grab the Browning double autoand she called me back and said holy shit, .. I think that was a good thing. She's standing over me as Im typing this, and she just told me, You dont come in my closet, I dont go in your gun safe. I take that as permission to continue!:)

In May I bought a Turkish Mauser that had been rebarreled with a Remington 700 Classic barrel, chambered in .250 Savage. Going to be my backup backup backup backup backup coyote and deer gun. It shoots little bitty groups too with numerous loads tried. :)

Ordered my wife a Walther PK380 (in pink of course) for our anniversary and while doing it ordered me a Walther P22 (olive drab color) just for kicks. They haven't arrived.

Before that, it was probably a year or so. Is it a problem if you're moving and start emptying gun safe and say "I forgot I had this one"......

I'd really love to pick up a Kimber Classic Select in .257 Roberts, but the wife won't allow it....

Just bought 3: a Berreta 92fs, Savage .308, and a Springfield XDM 9 mm......Christmas for the boys! Nothing for me.

Too long

At least 10 years since I bought the Citori. I almost bought a used Beretta auto last spring but mostly I just look. I have sold more guns in the last 20 years than I have bought. At the end of the day how many guns does one need...

At the end of the day how many guns does one need...

SHhhhhh, don't let the women hear you say that. Need and want are two different things. My guns are my one thing that is mine...and just mine. I don't have to share them with anybody..unless I chose to let someone try one out. They are my crutch that keeps me getting up every morning and slogging through all the hustle and bustle of today's dog eat dog world. I enjoy just sitting in front of my gun safe and admiring each and every one of them. I get a lot of enjoyment from that. Even more from carrying them on those beautiful sunny fall day when the fall colors are in full swing and watching my dogs work. Collecting game for the freezer is a nice added bonus.

Prairie Storm Patterns

I bought a box of Prairie Storm 20G 3" #5 and have never missed more birds. I have hunted for 40+ years and am a good shot. After all the misses I patterned the Mod. choke at 35 and 40 yds. The overall number of shot in a 30" circle is good but both distances had many of voids in the pattern, interspersed with clumps of tight groups of shot. All shells produce some voids, but there seem to be 2 times the number of voids I have seem with other shells. The voids I am talking about have the area of about a 5" diameter circle with no shot in it. I am seeing 3 to 4 voids this size or larger per shot. Has anyone else seen this?

Last edited:
You might want to start this as a separate post

I bought a box of Prairie Storm 20G 3" #5 and have never missed more birds. I have hunted for 40+ years and am a good shot. After all the misses I patterned the Mod. choke at 35 and 40 yds. The overall number of shot in a 30" circle is good but both distances had many of voids in the pattern, interspersed with clumps of tight groups of shot. All shells produce some voids, but there seem to be 2 times the number of voids I have seem with other shells. The voids I am talking about have the area of about a 5" diameter circle with no shot in it. I am seeing 3 to 4 voids this size or larger per shot. Has anyone else seen this?

You might want to start this as a separate post. However, when patterning rememeber that you are looking at 2D and you real pattern is 3D and so is the bird. I dont' believe in any of the "new" shell hype. Go buy a case of the shells you were using and stick to the shell you like, that is my two cents worth. I am sure those that work for Prairie Storm and are on this site will not agree with me:)

Ended my dry spell the other day. It was a little over a year since my last gun purchase. I bought a S&W 20 ga. sxs.I got my camera problem solved and getting it on Saturday and plan on posting pics.

Back