Draht/GWP

SDupland

Ugh…. It’s getting to be about that time. My wonderful vizsla Berk is heading into her golden years of retirement. Although it pains me to say, because she really was a good girl, I think my next pup will be one that handles the cold of SD a little better as most of our hunting seasons were cut short. I am pretty set on a bearded breed. Love the looks and what I hear/read about them. The Draht/Wirehair in particular. What I’m hoping for is some help finding a good breeder or at least a small list to consider checking out. Would also like any input towards what breed would suit my needs more, Draht vs GWP. To make this easier I’m just gunna make a list and maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

I have kids (9,6,5). They are gentle with our current dog, but I need a friendly dog who I can trust with them. I’m not needing a protective dog for the home.

If I’m honest with myself, I won’t do much waterfowl if any and definitely no fur. Just upland hunting. Although I do usually hunt at least once a week as I have available land close by.

I like a leggy athletic dog but medium range.

Tight coat (just an observation but it seems Drahts a have more consistency in coat). Maybe I’m wrong though.

Although I learned a lot training my first dog through NAVHDA and a local trainer, I would still consider myself new to bird dog training.

I live in Sioux Falls SD but am willing to travel for the right dog.

Oh. And I would be willing to put my pup through the first/ natural ability VDD test but after that, as I don’t waterfowl hunt and water work isn’t really essential for me I would be more hesitant. But could probably be persuaded. Again, just trying to be as honest as possible. I appreciate all and any replies.

Midwest tristates navhda has a few gwp guys. Dr. Rod in Brookings probably won't have a vdd litter this year but I bet he knows of some?

I really like the looks of the sire in the latest gwp puppiy thread. He is a good looking ugly thing😉

Just a warning you hang with that navhda group and you may get another Vizsla.

I don't mean to sway you in any way, but there are wire haired vizlas but might not be easy to find. There are good G.W.P. breeders in every state as they are very popular now. But if I lived out west I would look closely at the Treborwolf dogs. Bob West Idaho. I'M not sure I believe in his grading system. But I do agree with his breeding philosophy. I will only say that the best bird dog (bar none) I've ever had the pleasure of owning was a pup from one of his ultima males.
birddude

I don't mean to sway you in any way, but there are wire haired vizlas but might not be easy to find. There are good G.W.P. breeders in every state as they are very popular now. But if I lived out west I would look closely at the Treborwolf dogs. Bob West Idaho. I'M not sure I believe in his grading system. But I do agree with his breeding philosophy. I will only say that the best bird dog (bar none) I've ever had the pleasure of owning was a pup from one of his ultima

Go to the VDD/GNA website. It will list all the available litters and any upcoming ones. Wealth of info. I had Drats for over twenty years, all VDD dogs. Best of luck.

Exactly. I’ve looked into the wirehair vizsla but I’m nervous one it would be hard to find. Also I’ve never hunted over one so I’m not familiar with them. I assume they crossed the vizsla with a draht?

Go to the VDD/GNA website. It will list all the available litters and any upcoming ones. Wealth of info. I had Drats for over twenty years, all VDD dogs. Best of luck.
I’ve looked over these sites and have a small list made buuut it’s just so dang hard to know what they breed for or what they lean into as far as dog work. Do they emphasize water work, upland or Blood tracking etc. do they have short medium or longer working dogs?. I plan on visiting a few breeders in my area but as far as kennels outside my general area that will be harder to accomplish. Thanks for the reply!

Midwest tristates navhda has a few gwp guys. Dr. Rod in Brookings probably won't have a vdd litter this year but I bet he knows of some?

I really like the looks of the sire in the latest gwp puppiy thread. He is a good looking ugly thing😉

Just a warning you hang with that navhda group and you may get another Vizsla.
I’ve seen some really good dogs/ vizslas from my short time spend with our local NAVHDA group. I like that idea and will have to reach out to some people involved. I’m sure they would be very helpful. Thank you for the good idea.

Exactly. I’ve looked into the wirehair vizsla but I’m nervous one it would be hard to find. Also I’ve never hunted over one so I’m not familiar with them. I assume they crossed the vizsla with a draht?
I don't think they are a vizsla G.W.P. cross. But I don't blame you for going with a wire. Good luck.

I owned a tan GWP, a genetic throw back to be discouraged. Looked just like an Uplander, a wired hair Vizsla. He was average, but devoted to me.

Ugh…. It’s getting to be about that time. My wonderful vizsla Berk is heading into her golden years of retirement. Although it pains me to say, because she really was a good girl, I think my next pup will be one that handles the cold of SD a little better as most of our hunting seasons were cut short. I am pretty set on a bearded breed. Love the looks and what I hear/read about them. The Draht/Wirehair in particular. What I’m hoping for is some help finding a good breeder or at least a small list to consider checking out. Would also like any input towards what breed would suit my needs more, Draht vs GWP. To make this easier I’m just gunna make a list and maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

I have kids (9,6,5). They are gentle with our current dog, but I need a friendly dog who I can trust with them. I’m not needing a protective dog for the home.

If I’m honest with myself, I won’t do much waterfowl if any and definitely no fur. Just upland hunting. Although I do usually hunt at least once a week as I have available land close by.

I like a leggy athletic dog but medium range.

Tight coat (just an observation but it seems Drahts a have more consistency in coat). Maybe I’m wrong though.

Although I learned a lot training my first dog through NAVHDA and a local trainer, I would still consider myself new to bird dog training.

I live in Sioux Falls SD but am willing to travel for the right dog.

Oh. And I would be willing to put my pup through the first/ natural ability VDD test but after that, as I don’t waterfowl hunt and water work isn’t really essential for me I would be more hesitant. But could probably be persuaded. Again, just trying to be as honest as possible. I appreciate all and any replies.
Wirehairs are skyrocketing towards the top of my favorite bird dog list. Seem to be driven hard hunting dogs with an attitude. Hope to see more in the future.

Since I hunt near you and I really hunt hard late season , I can tell you my Weims and my old gsp handle cold and snow better then wooly ones. You say how is that? I have never seen my dogs chewing at ice/snow in their paws or with ice on their faces. I am a diehard who has only not hunted/quit hunting because of the weather 4 times in 40+ years. 3 times due to freezing rain with high wind and once at -18 with the windchill near-100.

Since I hunt near you and I really hunt hard late season , I can tell you my Weims and my old gsp handle cold and snow better then wooly ones. You say how is that? I have never seen my dogs chewing at ice/snow in their paws or with ice on their faces. I am a diehard who has only not hunted/quit hunting because of the weather 4 times in 40+ years. 3 times due to freezing rain with high wind and once at -18 with the windchill near-100.
Very good point

You might get some sense of at least one GWP if you go through the 8 or so posts I made about Young Bert, the not-right dog. He was a life experience. This is the first of the posts: https://forum.ultimatepheasanthunting.com/threads/young-bert-the-not-right-dog.7421/

The rest are numbered Young Bert 2 through 10 if you use the "search" function.

Note, you don't always get to choose whether you are hunting fur or not. :)

Best wishes.

While I am a lab guy, my dad has had a couple GWP and a close friend has a Draathar. First, they are incredibly loyal family dogs. I wouldn't have any qualms with a GWP/DD around your children. At the same time, they can be not as welcoming of other dogs and, sometimes, people. I think it goes back to their loyalty to family, but I do know when hunting with the ones I've hunted with, they aren't real keen on interacting with the other dogs. I'm sure a hundred guys can tell you different, I'm just sharing my experience. Speaking of telling a guy different, my lab avoids coons, skunks, etc., but the GWP/DD I've hunted with hunt everything. If they come across a coon in the field, it is game on. Same goes for the farm cats with my dad's dogs.

Second, weim brought up my first thought about winter hunting and that is their webbed feet tend to collect snow/ice. A guy can use something like Musher's Secret to help alleviate this, but it is something that seems common to the breed.

Lastly, they are strong hunters with a frame designed to lope and really fun, quirky personalities. And other than the paw issues in the snow, the cold itself doesn't seem to bother them any. Best wishes on your search!

I have a GWP, excellent dog. I have had yellow labs in the past and they were great also. One has to remember that they are different breeds but will find pheasants and that is the main goal. My GWP isn't a social dog for sure. She doesn't bother other dogs just ignores them as more of a distraction. I would recommend a GWP for sure but labs are great also. Good luck

We are expecting puppies this week. Posted info in classified
We are expecting puppies this week. Posted info in classified section.

Kimber has a really cool and kinda unique look, also sounds like a lot of drive. I’m just starting my search and likely won’t be getting a new pup for a bit as we are currently trying to build a new home but I would like to keep you in mind down the road…. If you have any planned litters of course

A good buddy is a trial guy along with hj ting and has a gwp. Young, but good dog. Not far from you. I can ask him where it cane from if you want
Ill second that the GSP does fine in the cold if they have drive. I have a pup now but one I had through high school and college was a machine to the point she really wasnt a pet until she was a few years old-she just wanted to hunt. -20 and a lot of snow/wind didnt make that dog flinch. Hoping the pup has that drive.

Remember, if you get a Draathar you will need to work on your attitude :). You need to be able to sneer and say in a condescending tone "it is NOT a GERMAN WIREHAIR it is a DRAATHAR hair".

Back