Draht/GWP

A good buddy is a trial guy along with hj ting and has a gwp. Young, but good dog. Not far from you. I can ask him where it cane from if you want
Ill second that the GSP does fine in the cold if they have drive. I have a pup now but one I had through high school and college was a machine to the point she really wasnt a pet until she was a few years old-she just wanted to hunt. -20 and a lot of snow/wind didnt make that dog flinch. Hoping the pup has that drive.
I would greatly appreciate it thank you!

I will say it again my short-haired dogs-gsp&weims have never quit hunting from the cold. The heat has shut them down but not like labs at 40°.

Last edited:
Since I hunt near you and I really hunt hard late season , I can tell you my Weims and my old gsp handle cold and snow better then wooly ones. You say how is that? I have never seen my dogs chewing at ice/snow in their paws or with ice on their faces. I am a diehard who has only not hunted/quit hunting because of the weather 4 times in 40+ years. 3 times due to freezing rain with high wind and once at -18 with the windchill near-100.
Holy cow how strong was the wind?? If my memory serves me right -20 with a 60 MPH wind is -60 wind-chill.

Holy cow how strong was the wind?? If my memory serves me right -20 with a 60 MPH wind is -60 wind-chill.
I looked at charts and you are correct I only go by what the weatherman says and they are prone to hype. I truly believe they forecast to get you to check back on their forecast. They can go gloom and doom for days then change the forecast and claim to be 95%accurate.

If you havnt got one yet let me know, Blaine with Vom Ike kennel in Baltic has a great line of dogs, Vom Eichel Grat out of Fergas Falls has another great line. I have two Drahts and a GWP and both are great.

Remember, if you get a Draathar you will need to work on your attitude :). You need to be able to sneer and say in a condescending tone "it is NOT a GERMAN WIREHAIR it is a DRAATHAR hair".

Ha yes now that I went to the dark side I have had to work on how I respond to people that ask if mine is a doodle 😀

Back