Dove

winchester21

Hey all- I'm planning on getting out on the Platte to pop some doves next week. Anyone have any info on numbers out that way?
Thanks!

Well, I answered my question yesterday. Their are doves everywhere out there!
We hunted south of Roggen and had a great time.

I'm assuming you were on private land? Don't see any WIA out that way.

Yes, we were on private land. I knocked on a couple doors and a farmer was nice enough to let us hunt a couple tree rows. Apparently there is no limit on those Eurasian doves so we shot the hell out 'em!

Well all, the season is on...

I got out for the first time this Saturday for dove. I bagged four, but it was really hard hunting. The temp was really high. The hunting that we did out by Limon was really different from any dove hunting that I had ever done before. We actually walked the field, tree stand and draw. in the past, I was always stationary and waited for them to come to the field or watering hole. I really wished I had taken the dog for the excercise if nothing else.

The highlight of the trip come when we were walking this huge over grown patch around an old farm house. It was mostly some type of tree with thorns, kinda like a russian olive. Anyway, We flushed a half dozen pheasant that were totally unexpected. One of the roosters went straight over my head, I quickly brought up the Benelli and got my sight picture and whispered... "Boom". I smiled the whole way home:rolleyes:.

Happy hunting all!!

~Gray~

Doves

we all ended up in Ks. we shot 360 + doves. It was a good hunt as my HTS got to retreive most of the birds on land and water.

We almost shot 9 flats :cheers: for 360 some birds, It's doesn't matter, we all had a good time.

Like Graybird66, I was out east of Limon hunting doves. I am not a dove hunter...I discovered quickly that you cant hunt those things like pheasants. My dog and I were having a great time...we saw so many pheasants walking fields and driving the roads! I decided to end the hunt when another hunter drove by and showed me what he had been hunting that day....a handful of rattles. I decided that I would wait until November before I head out in the fields of eastern colorado. No sense getting me or my dog bit over a few doves. Be careful when you all are out there.

Kiva

Back