Dove Poachers!

I have seen that type of damage here as well. when I bought the piece of ground I now have someone came in and had shot over 300 doves and other birds and left them lay. It was sold at auction as the owner had died and they took advantage of his death and the transition to new owner window.
The county here is known for it's poaching activities as well.
Disturbing to me also is early in the pheasant season several locals go out and get their 3 and take them home and hurry back to the field for 3 more or even 6 more if time allows.
Only 1 game warden for such an immense area makes it easy to say the least. Very few get caught.
On a brighter note I must say I have more than enough doves now as I planted an acre of millet this year and they are going nuts over it.
Pheasant sightings over the past few days are up as well. Small birds though as I believe we had renestings or later than usual hatch due to cool June temps. JO BO

Over Limit

I saw that as well on another forum. Be nice if they get the max.

Couple of my initial observations:

Wow, first thought was that that had to be over 1,000 shells.

Could have been 60 mourning doves and 149 colared/turtle doves and white wing doves, those don't have limits in Kansas. If cleaned, no way to tell.

Opening morning at Hillsdale, CO made his way throught the field checking licenses and plugs. Didn't check for steel shot, which was surprising as it was a non-tox field. By the time he made if half way around he had 5 no plug tickets.

Couple of years ago, stopped by a guy at Hillsdale who had a pile of Killdeer. I asked how'd it go, he said great, got me some of those exotic doves.

I saw that as well on another forum. Be nice if they get the max.

Couple of my initial observations:

Wow, first thought was that that had to be over 1,000 shells.

Could have been 60 mourning doves and 149 colared/turtle doves and white wing doves, those don't have limits in Kansas. If cleaned, no way to tell.

Opening morning at Hillsdale, CO made his way throught the field checking licenses and plugs. Didn't check for steel shot, which was surprising as it was a non-tox field. By the time he made if half way around he had 5 no plug tickets.

Couple of years ago, stopped by a guy at Hillsdale who had a pile of Killdeer. I asked how'd it go, he said great, got me some of those exotic doves.

You can tell collard doves from morning dove and white- wings. 1 the meat on collard doves is white not red. 2 collard doves are much larger than morning and white wings.:thumbsup:

doves

yet to kill a white wing but jmac's statement on size and color is only a general statement as size and color will vary at least with the collard and morning. today I cleaned just over 40 dove, color and size was all over the map. one thing that this year I am shooting quite a lot of really light meated morning dove and one of the collard was as dark as any pigeon. I believe that meat color has to do with the type and or amount of flying the bird does. I could never tell whether I was eating a collard or morning, they both were great

cheers

LOL....that one takes the cake right there.

Similar story; When I was around 12 years old or so, I bumped into a guy hunting doves and snipe. I asked if he had any luck? "yep" he said. He then pulled his "snipe" out of his pouch. They were killdeers:eek:

I instead they were not snipe, but being so young I thing he just brushed my words off and went on his way.

Someday I will post the "story" about that. Had a older brother that was one of the shooters. What the don't tell is how many doves that where actually shot that weekend.
:cheers:

Someday I will post the "story" about that. Had a older brother that was one of the shooters. What the don't tell is how many doves that where actually shot that weekend.
:cheers:

I have gotten quite the reactions from people in the know, when I tell them I lived in F r o n t e n a c and who my neighbors were.:) I only stumbled on to one body at the strip pits in the time I lived there(not telling that story on UPH, BTW). ;)

Along the same lines,

I actually played softball with one of the officers involved with what I always thought was an urban legend.

He was a county patrolman at the time, stopped somewhere (I believe it was for coffee with another fellow patrolman or two an a local CO.) Some gents came into the place in their hunter garb and one of the LEOs asked how they were doing. They said, "Oh pretty good. We've shot a bunch of quail." The CO just wanted to see the birds so he asked if he could check them out.

They popped open the trunk to show the surprised LEOs, a trunk full of meadowlarks. The officer said they were shocked/sad/surprised as the birds and guns were confiscated.

Back