Dove Hunt

Good looking pup Arieldg !! Mine are going nuts. Saw the last of the Doves leaving a nest today in the Spruce out front. They are sitting on the ground sunning themselves right now. Might have to hit the cold front and see what happens. Starting my Physical therapy tomorrow!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

saga of the aya

was planning on dove hunting today but it is now duck weather here. cheers for cabela's. my new aya arrived yesterday, happy as a clam the issue was coming to an end but then it looks live dove season has also. upon examining the new aya i mostly by accident noticed the address of the importer and the importer had moved a number of years ago, funny, a closer look at the barrel markings revealed the fleur de lis was missing and of course cabels's new nothing of that. what it meant was the gun, while new, was probably 4 years old. the fluer de lis is the stamping saying the gun has been proofed for steel shot and with the ever changing laws on shot it would be nice to be up to date esp. when you are spending that kinda money. now there were two aya's that i didn't want. as luck would have it the cabela's gunsmith had just returned from his elk hunt empty handed and could look at the first gun without screwing up the warranty. as it turned out the plunger, the rod that is the release for the forearm haad rotated 180 deg. and when that happens, does not properly catch. that's why the forearm fell off and that releases the ejector cocking mech. and you can't put it back on and no field repair is possible. anyway we, he, got it fixed, was to shoot dove, hopefully today, and check it out. all in all cabela's handled this just wonderfully. getting a third gun shipped in was not possible as there were no more in this configuration and time wise i leave for a woodcock hunt in vt. on thur. think i am happy but if i have trouble with the gun in vt. cabela's will still deal with me. that's a big deal

cheers

weather

well, the weather broke, took my new gun for a walk and it didn't break but then there were not many chance to try it either. the first two i saw at the first stop i got a double, then a single, then i got smart and missed a really long shot and then the season ended. saw only about 12 birds but the dogs found their favorite cow tank and had a dip. pretty short hunt. anybody checked lately to see if jim is still next to the mail box?

cheers

Shot my first Eurasians last night @ a buddies place near Longmont. Crazy birds. A few tried to divebomb the mojo, but most of the groups were flying higher (and acting more skittish) than January geese once the first shots were fired. And then completely quit about 1 hour before sunset. At that point, we just started throwing clays over the alfalfa, which was nearly as fun.

Pheasants soon...with the onset of Rifle Big Game on Saturday, blue grouse season is effectively over for me.

Back