dove huinting shells

jmac

ok , guys lets talk about what shells you use for dove hunting.

I like number 7's or 7.5's , they work just fine. 8 and 9 dont work,so well,not here in az. 8 and 9 will nock them down, but will not kill them. we dont run dogs in az b/c its , just wrong, to much cacti, and other, dog distroying crap. :)

Winchester super speeds in 7.5s. My buddy swears by 6s but sometimes he comes back with half a dove.

Doves are easy to knock down. I've cleaned lots of them which had just one or two pellets in them.

Given a choice, I'll shoot 8s, but I don't think I could tell any difference with 7.5s. A long time expert dove hunter told me he had come to the conclusion that the best dove load was 8.5s, in fact I still have some 8.5 that I never loaded. When I shot them, I couldn't see any difference from 8s, 7.5s or 9s.

Remington, Federal, Winchester - I buy whatever is on sale.

If you have an Academy Sports nearby, right now they are having a sale on Winchester dove loads in 7.5 and 8. $3.99/box. I filled a grocery cart.

I can't see any difference between a Ford and a Chevy either.

Last edited:
Doves are easy to knock down. I've cleaned lots of them which had just one or two pellets in them.

Given a choice, I'll shoot 8s, but I don't think I could tell any difference with 7.5s. A long time expert dove hunter told me he had come to the conclusion that the best dove load was 8.5s, in fact I still have some 8.5 that I never loaded. When I shot them, I couldn't see any difference from 8s, 7.5s or 9s.

Remington, Federal, Winchester - I buy whatever is on sale.

If you have an Academy Sports nearby, right now they are having a sale on Winchester dove loads in 7.5 and 8. $3.99/box. I filled a grocery cart.

I can't see any difference between a Ford and a Chevy either.

jnorman,

Wow, 3.99/box , I would have filled the cart too. The cheapest price i can find in phx, is 5.19/box at walmart, so far anyway, still shopping around. I have not been to cabela's or sportsmen warehouse yet. Bass pro the cheapest price/box is 7.50 for winchester AA trap load in 8's. I passed on that price. ammo is getting more and more expensive.:)

jnorman,

Wow, 3.99/box , I would have filled the cart too. The cheapest price i can find in phx, is 5.19/box at walmart, so far anyway, still shopping around. I have not been to cabela's or sportsmen warehouse yet. Bass pro the cheapest price/box is 7.50 for winchester AA trap load in 8's. I passed on that price. ammo is getting more and more expensive.:)

If you have a Dick's Sporting Goods, it's worth a check there. They often have rebates of $1 or $2/box. Gotta' watch Dick's though. Those sneaky buggers sometimes advertise cheap prices per box, but they sell boxes of 20.

Dove Shot? No. 8

I shoot no. 8s at doves and quail.

Gander Mtn. and Academy are both at $3.99 for Winchesters 20ga or 12...7.5 or 8. I shoot a 28ga on dove and shoot 7's.

Gander Mtn. and Academy are both at $3.99 for Winchesters 20ga or 12...7.5 or 8. I shoot a 28ga on dove and shoot 7's.

JMc,

will you guys, quit rubbing it in, about $3.99 shells. We have no gander mountain or academy stores here in Arizona. LOL. LOL.

JMc. What 28 gauge are you talking about? Auto pump, side by side, over and under, does not really matter just curious. I have been looking at these guns for years. I have to get one!! :)

Ok jmac...I'll quit talking about the $3.99 a box but I got to tell you; I got a heck of a deal and paid $39.99 a case...:D.

As for the 28; I came across a sweet Ruger Red Label at a gun show in Amarillo in February. Bought it that weekend and closed the quail season out in Roaring Springs TX with it. It is the absolute 'funnest' gun I own and I have many to choose from. It handles better, swings better, and hits like a hammer. I have a couple of Cynergy Feathers (12/20) that point nicely and are close in the handling department. I'm not a Ruger Red Label fan but the 20 and 28 gauges are very nice. It is definitely a keeper.

Last edited:
I like 7's or 8's, but those damn Eurasians are a bit hardier!!! Smacked them many a time with more than one shot and they keep on going!! :eek:

winchester AA 7.5, they make two kinds one of them is faster something like 1250fps comes in a gray hull. absolutely love them! I like to keep my FPS as close to the same through everything I shoot, my brain does not have calculation problems as often that way. Ask a cop, speed kills

Last edited:
The Super Handicap are the gray ones and yes they hit hard. Sometimes, I use them in 7.5's for pheasants and they drop dead.

Back