Dove Chokes and Loads

BritChaser

What will you all be shooting choke and load-wize when you go after dove in a few weeks? The way we hunt dove on the high plains is to go out in the evening and sit by a windmill overflow pond. Basically the birds are flying at us and then bank off when we move to shoot. I shoot no. 8s through cylinder and skeet.

Last edited:
Our dove hunting is more what you'd call pass shooting in vineyards and orchards. I like a Ic/ Mod set up and throw 7/8oz loads of 7.5s at them.

We will be hunting in the AM to beat the heat. We will be sitting by stock pond wind breaks. I'll be using mod choke shooting 7.5 low brass. After the 3rd day of dove season will change coke to full, as the educated doves will be flaring at greater distance. This has worked for me.:)

I put a lawn chair by this tree- hook up 2 Britt's- take 10 20 guage 7/8's 8 shot skeet tubes- if I shoot those shells- I go get the other 2 Britt's and a few more shells- 4 doves make a nice lunch

suppose you could call it pass shooting- I look at it as- these are local doves-
they come arround- we get a few- 2 days later- we get a few more

what's the point of killing 15- you going to eat those- you going to go out and shoot 15 more the next day- somehow just doesn't seem right- unless you have a wife and 2 kids who really love to eat dove

I have always used my 20 gauge Browning Superlight with modified and full using 7/8 oz #8 or #9 shot quite successfully. Generally we hunt over cut grain with decoys haning over what ever we can find to hang them. This has always been in South or North Carolina. If I use my semi auto it is a modified choke. The decoys really seem to help take the focus of the birds off us hunters on the ground but they sure start to jiggle and twist when we start to raise our "shinny sticks" and make noise :eek:

Our dove hunting is more what you'd call pass shooting in vineyards and orchards. I like a Ic/ Mod set up and throw 7/8oz loads of 7.5s at them.

And sip a local Chardonnay post-hunt? I would!

And sip a local Chardonnay post-hunt? I would!

Yes sir, a lot of good ones around here. I think there are about 10 wineries in our little town alone. My uncle farms about 1000 acres of wine grapes.

I hunt over a sunflower plot and typically use IC and the cheapest shells at wal-mart. Today I bought 2 boxes of 7/8 oz - 2.5 dram - 8 shot for 4.67 a box. Super crummy load but it works!

BC and Qh You both have taken the First step in the 12 step program..... LOL you bunch of grape hounds....... :D:cheers:

BC and Qh You both have taken the First step in the 12 step program..... LOL you bunch of grape hounds....... :D:cheers:

Speaking of grapes, here are two good toasts with glasses raised:

"Crush the grape!"

"While we are alive, let's live!"

I usually stick with the short and sweet "Cheers!"

I usually have IC or Mod in a single barrel, or both if its an O/U. 7/8 or 1 oz of 7 1/2's or 8's. I've shot my full choked Ithaca 37 and done just as well on a bird/shell average.

3/4 oz. of #7 1/2 shot at 1300fps with imp.cyl. bottom, mod. on top of the 28ga. browning citori.

I will be here just above the south fork of the american river...cant wait!!

IMG_1077.jpg

3/4 oz. of #7 1/2 shot at 1300fps with imp.cyl. bottom, mod. on top of the 28ga. browning citori.

I will be here just above the south fork of the american river...cant wait!!

IMG_1077.jpg

Do you see many ban tailed pigeons up there SG? Beautiful country.

Do you see many ban tailed pigeons up there SG? Beautiful country.

Hi QH, good to here from you.
Havent seen to many in this area, you would think you would though.

Now were I hunt mountain quail at 3000ft elevation I've saw swarms of them...stoped counting after 80+

The season here in nor cal is very short and small bag limit.

Back