Doubles

Ok who shoots a side by side. I'll go first. I shoot a couple of A.H. Fox Sterlinworths, 16 ga. Both Philly guns. My Grouse gun is 26", choked cyl, imp cyl. About 5 1/2 pounds, very fast gun. My other Fox has 28", choked Imp, mod. I use a Beretta 686 12 ga. for Roosters, 28" barrels.
I use a SBE when steel shot is required but love chasing birds with 100+ year old side by sides whenever the conditions allow. Foxes are my favorites, but I have also taken quite a few birds with my Baker and my Elsie (L.C. Smith).

I have 3 Uggie 16’s, an Uggie 28, and an Uggie 12, the last one a sidelock from ‘57, the rest box locks; 2 AYA 20 gauges, a #4/53 and a #2; a Fox sterlingworth 16 gauge from ‘28; and a Parker repro 28 gauge with 28” barrels, DT, and PG stock. I shoot my Uggie 28 gauge a lot and my AYA 4/53 20 gauge a lot…working others into the line up as I can.
I used to read articles written by a guy named Macentosh? Macentosh? I loved reading about doubles, One day he wrote a very favorable article about the Uggies, particular the 28. I had never owned a sxs or a 28, so knocked off two birds with one stone. Its a very sweet shooter.
The only guys who don't care for it are big guys as it's pretty dainty. Anyone know what button I'm hitting to this big gap underneath my text?

Top is a 1965 Simson 12 and bottom is a 1919 unmarked (but likely Sauer action based on some knowledgable guys) in 16 gauge.

3IhF03K.jpg

2wRQQB3.jpg

Dad throwing in with his Dickinson 16.
G5Ys6R1.jpg

I used to read articles written by a guy named Macentosh? Macentosh? I loved reading about doubles, One day he wrote a very favorable article about the Uggies, particular the 28. I had never owned a sxs or a 28, so knocked off two birds with one stone. Its a very sweet shooter.
The only guys who don't care for it are big guys as it's pretty dainty. Anyone know what button I'm hitting to this big gap underneath my text?
You are talking about Michael McIntosh. He was a prolific writer on wing shooting and SxS shotguns. I have his books and are a favorite to reread on occasion.

Back