Double gun choke tube configuration

I usually hunt with a semi auto but I have a browning over under I shoot a little. I have usually used it IC then M. Which I feel is fairly standard practice, theoretically giving you a better chance at a bird farther off with your second shot. I started to wonder how many guys use the same choke in each barrel, but use different loads for the first and second shot? Perhaps 7.5 followed by 6's or maybe some of you do both?

I was just curious what thoughts/experience any of you would have with this.

In my O/U shotguns, I typically use either the IC and M or the M and FC depending upon target birds and time of season. Rarely change shot sizes between chokes since I cannot keep track of what is where.

For quail I use SKT and IMC, I will use this on Phez some of the time.
Then I will go to IMC and Mod on Phez on windy days.

My standard is IC in barrel 1, MOD in barrel 2. The ONLY time I use anything else is late season, hunting out of state. If I am preserve/game farm hunting with pen raised birds its usually IC 1 and IC 2. As for shot size, I use 1&1/4oz #6 in both barrels early season and on preserve birds, and 1&1/4oz #5 in both barrels late season.

I do use I/C in the first barrel (Which is the bottom barrel for my preference) Then Mod. for the upper barrel. I always use the same shot shells. I can see it now which pocket had 7 1/2's? Which one is the 5's? Too much to think about. I shoot this same configuration all season, even at the sporting clay's course! Sometimes I switch the barrels if the first bird on the sporting clays station is farther out.

To answer the question, I never have used the same choke in both barrels. One might as well shoot a pump or an auto and get the extra shot. One of the main reasons I like my double trigger guns is the ability to quickly chose a choke for the shot presented. And yes, in SD I find myself doing it more than one would expect.

Early season I may shoot 6s in my first barrel (IC) and 5s in my second (M). Later season its all 5s and with a switch to M and F at some point. The first shot is taken with the lower barrel because there is less barrel displacement (kick) from a shot from the lower barrel and, hence, less correction needed to get off an accurate second shot. On quail only, I shoot 8s through cylinder and skeet.

Last edited:
When using steel shot for pheasants I use skeet and improved cylinder in my over and under with 3's and 4 shot.When using lead I use improved cylinder and modified with 4,5 or 6 shot.I hunt with pointing dogs(GSP'S) so a great deal of shots are closer and these set ups seem to work good for me.

Here Ks , we hunt areas where quail and pheasant overlap , ic in the right barrel , mod in the left , # 7 nickel plated lead in my right pocket , # 5 lead in left pocket .

7 for quail 5 's for the roosters

I use IC in first shot barrel, M in 2nd shot barrel. I shot the same ammo in both. Usually 12g 6's. 2 3/4 Inch 1 1/4oz- for pheasants.

I hunt over a Britt so shots are close. My 16g O/U is choked SK/IC most times. I shoot 1 1/8 #6. For Woodcock I choke at SK/SK and shoot #8 shot.

I also go improved and modified. Ended up with a bunch of low brass #6, so they filled both barrels early on. Later in the season, I had Fiochhi golden pheasant #5 in the modified barrel. Don't know if it was the new to me super
Featherweight, or the Fiochhi #5, but I was he'll on birds this year.

My buddies and I hunt over close working flushes and very solid ointers, the vast majority of the guns we shoot are open chokes, either CYL/IC or a tad tighter ,or IC/MOD.
My favourite gun is CYL/CYL
Gauge doesn't matter, and 95% of our guns are vintage doubles , with the exception of a few O/U's with fixed chokes, and my son's 28 and my friend's 28 with the chokes don't get changed on.
David

For pheasant, IC/M and #4 in both barrels (flushing dog). I started used to use IC#6 then M#5 then go to #5 and #4 late season, but I disliked trying to keep track. One day I put the wrong thing in the wrong barrel and I lost a bird, although of course I very well might have lost it anyways! But it annoyed me to have to wonder, so I stopped doing that. I settled on big shot because given the option, I prefer to have to wait a moment to shoot at an appropriate range than to find myself with too-small shot for a bird that is a bit downrange. I also prefer to dissect feathers from fewer wound channels with the bigger shot. Sure, once in a while I sweep an instinctive shot on a too-close bird and it's wasteful, but generally it works for me. If I go for woodcock, snipe or grouse where I don't expect to encounter pheasants I go with Skeet/Skeet and #6 (early season grouse in thick cover) to #8 (woodcock/snipe).

My friend who has an old SxS with fixed M/F chokes reloads himself with something that he calls "spreader wads" for grouse and woodcock, and a conventional wad (presumably does not "spread" the shot like the former wad) for pheasants.

I used to use full in both barrels when the 20 ga. was 2 3/4" chambers. Now that it's 3" I have mod. on the bottom and full on top. It's easier for me to push the safety off and to the right setting the bottom barrel first than to pull and push to set the top one first. I don't switch the selector back and forth based on what's happening.
I shoot Fiocchi Golden Pheasant 6s in the mod. barrel and old Winchester mark 5 #4s in the top because I have them and like the 4s for a farther second shot. I don't have trouble knowing which one I'm grabbing to reload because I keep the #6s loose in my right vest pocket and the #4s in an open zip lock in the same pocket. If I think I might have to reload quickly I just carry two #6s in my left hand and grip the forearm with them in my hand. I've never had a problem doing that since I was 12 and had a 16 ga. single shot.

Back