Dogtra Pathfinder

Rooster33

Hey guys,
I am looking for some feedback on the Dogtra Pathfinder training collar. I need to upgrade to a GPS e-collar this season and I am looking at this model or the Garmin Alpha. The price point is nice on the Dogtra collar and I like that you can set up a Geo fence, but I am curious on how quick the feedback is from the phone to the collar? I haven't found too many reviews on this collar. Thanks for the feedback.

I have not seen or used the Pathfinder but have read some not so good reviews on it. Personally I would not want to use my cell phone as an e-collar/GPS. I think the Alpha is a better option. I have the Alpha with the Mini TT15 collar. It works very well but has many more functions and features than I will ever use. Garmin now makes a Pro 550 Plus that is an e-collar with simple GPS tracking. If I was to do it over that's the route I would go.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/612458/pn/010-02035-10#

I have it and have used it a lot for about a year now. Mine works great and does everything I need from it. I prefer having the app on my phone. It’s one less thing to carry. I would have my phone with me anyway. The GPS connector I stash in the back pocket of my vest and forget it’s there. It doesn’t drain my phone battery.

I’m sure the Garmins and Sport Dogs have more features but you also pay a lot more for those. I like to keep things simple Pathfinder does that for me. It shows me where my dog is and how far away it is with great accuracy. The battery life is good. If you want some of the more high features you will need the Garmin. In the year I have used mine I have never thought I wish I had a Garmin.

Matt

I have it and have used it a lot for about a year now. Mine works great and does everything I need from it. I prefer having the app on my phone. It’s one less thing to carry. I would have my phone with me anyway. The GPS connector I stash in the back pocket of my vest and forget it’s there. It doesn’t drain my phone battery.

I’m sure the Garmins and Sport Dogs have more features but you also pay a lot more for those. I like to keep things simple Pathfinder does that for me. It shows me where my dog is and how far away it is with great accuracy. The battery life is good. If you want some of the more high features you will need the Garmin. In the year I have used mine I have never thought I wish I had a Garmin.

Matt

Matt, what are the alerts when your dog goes on point?

Matt, what are the alerts when your dog goes on point?

The phone vibrates and there is a voice that says "dog on point."

I got a new phone last summer. I kept my old phone to use with my Pathfinder. I have the app on both phones. Obviously my old phone doesn't have phone capability anymore but it works well with the Pathfinder.

Last edited:
I suppose a person could buy a lanyard that would hold a cell phone. One of my concerns is being able to see my smart phone in bright daylight. I don't really have an issue seeing my Alpha but I know sometimes trying to see the screen on my phone outside can be an issue.

I also have a Springer. I put the transmitter for her e-collar in the same pocket I put my phone in when running the Pathfinder. My vest has a pocket designed for an e-collar transmitter. I put both the transmitter and my phone in there when I’m hunting. I prefer it to a lanyard.

As you’ve pointed out a lot of this is personal preference. If you have concerns with seeing your phone screen but your Alpha screen works for you then the Pathfinder may not be for you. If you like carrying your transmitter around your neck the Pathfinder may not be for you.

I chose the Pathfinder because I find the price tag on the Garmin and now even the Sportdog way too much to stomach. I am a basic trainer and really only use the e-collar for emergencies (roads, private property boundaries, etc.). Most of my training is with a check cord and repition in the backyard. All I was looking for was a device that would track my dog accurately. So far the Pathfinder has worked for me. It tracks my dog accurately, has good battery life, is waterproof, and has a very serviceable e-collar.

I will say this. I hunted grouse in the woods last fall and I did not like it there. If I was primarily a ruffed grouse hunter I would go with something else. I hunt mostly pheasants and quail. My dog usually works between 100 and 250 yards and I can usually see her. In the woods I was constantly on my phone tracking the dog. That may have been because I was a rookie pointing dog guy. When hunting pheasant and quail I did not rely on the device nearly as much.

I think a guy would have to figure out what they wanted and go from there. Certainly the Pathfinder has limitations. But the device has been a reliable performer for me.

I have the pathfinder and I feel that it is a great unit. My only complaint is that you have to take your glove off to use the touch screen on your phone. I have been looking for a decent pair of hunting gloves that are touch screen compatible, but haven't found anything yet. You also have to make sure your phone is charged up for a walk, as it can eat the battery life a little.

The Wing Works website has some awesome phone holsters for strap vests. I use one and it keeps your phone handy.

What kind of phones have you guys had good luck with? I am wanting to buy a cheaper smart phone to use with my unit. Have you stuck with the popular iPhones or Samsung’s?

Thanks

Back