Dogtra 2500 or 2502

Ptnglab

Has anyone used either of these collars? I just got another dog and need to go to a 2-dog unit. I was looking at the 2502. I would like to know how well they work in the snow, does the beeper get packed with snow being on the bottom side of the collar? Please give me any feedback that you may have. I have a tri-tronics G2 upland now and it has been a good unit, but I was thinking of trying the Dogtra.

Thanks, Larry

Has anyone used either of these collars? I just got another dog and need to go to a 2-dog unit. I was looking at the 2502. I would like to know how well they work in the snow, does the beeper get packed with snow being on the bottom side of the collar? Please give me any feedback that you may have. I have a tri-tronics G2 upland now and it has been a good unit, but I was thinking of trying the Dogtra.

Thanks, Larry

I have heard of the issue with the beeper getting plugged with snow from very reliable source. The beeper is also less audible than the 2000 series predecessor. And early on when the 2500 was initially introduced there were some battery issues, but it appears that has been rectified. The 2500 has a quicker 2 hour charging time which is a nice improvement over the 16 hour full charge of the 2000 series.

That being said... I have the older 2002 two dog model and I can not say enough good things about this collar. It is bullet proof !! to say the least. I have dropped it on concrete more times than I like to admit and it never skipped a beat. Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin so to speak. The battery charge although it takes an overnight charge to fully charge from a completely drained state, literally lasts what seems like months with everyday use.

Pretty hard to find any remaining 2000 series collars these days and I have to believe after hearing reports from others that Dogtra has cleaned up some of the early on issues with the 2500 series.

Last edited:
I'm one of those that always praised Dogtra--until the 2500 series came out.

Long story but if you want a beeper unit would suggest looking for an older 2000 series unit--which were very stable and as bomb-proof as they come--or going with tri-tronics. Even if some of the 2500 problems have been corrected, unless they made it a LOT louder--you won't be able to find your dog very far away at all if there is any wind. In open country at least. For grouse/woodcock work it's not as big an issue.

my 2500 is great, can change volume of beeper, great in cattails and very tall grass! Never an issue in 2 seasons.

After using Tri-Tronics for years, I bought my first Dogtra last year. I'm never going back. LOVE this combo.

I chose the 2002 over the 2502. Both are great, but I really prefer having the beeper facing up. Much easier to hear. The longer charge is really the only down side. But as mentioned, it does hold a charge for ever. My body sold his 2002 and bought a 2502. He's still kicking himself.

Whichever one you get, make sure you get the two collar model. Remember, Dogtra is one of the few that you can't add collars to. Even if you only have one dog, I'd get the two collar. You can always use one as a belly band.

I picked up a 2002 for right around $370 shipped. Heck of a savings off the 2502 and I feel that I got a better collar. If you're interested, I know of an online store that still has a few of the 2002s in stock.

Long story but if you want a beeper unit would suggest looking for an older 2000 series unit--which were very stable and as bomb-proof as they come--or going with tri-tronics. Even if some of the 2500 problems have been corrected, unless they made it a LOT louder--you won't be able to find your dog very far away at all if there is any wind. In open country at least. For grouse/woodcock work it's not as big an issue. I chose the 2002 over the 2502. Both are great, but I really prefer having the beeper facing up. Much easier to hear. The longer charge is really the only down side. But as mentioned, it does hold a charge for ever. My body sold his 2002 and bought a 2502. He's still kicking himself.Whichever one you get, make sure you get the two collar model. Remember, Dogtra is one of the few that you can't add collars to. Even if you only have one dog, I'd get the two collar. You can always use one as a belly band. I picked up a 2002 for right around $370 shipped. Heck of a savings off the 2502 and I feel that I got a better collar. If you're interested, I know of an online store that still has a few of the 2002s in stock.

dogtra

the reason i got rid o mine is every time my dogs went farther out than i liked was at long distance your just pushing buttons for nothing if they just went over a hill and i wanted to turn them NOTHING for a short running or close working dog prob ok my opinion long way away from tri tronics -

the reason i got rid o mine is every time my dogs went farther out than i liked was at long distance your just pushing buttons for nothing if they just went over a hill and i wanted to turn them NOTHING for a short running or close working dog prob ok my opinion long way away from tri tronics -

I'm not sure I understand.

anotherwords if obstacles, wind to far out they dont work with a damn why i sold mine if your dogs stay close that model will be just fine i think they have a ways to go before they catch tri tronics

Thanks for all the responses. I still have not made up my mind, the reason I thought of going to the 2502 Dogtra was to have the all in one (receiver/beeper) so it would stay in place on the dog. I do have two dogs, so I will need the 2-dog unit even though my 4 1/2 year old lab does not need the receiver, just need the beeper for her.

Thanks again, Larry

I have the new Sportdog, It is a fine unit with all the goodies 2 hour charge etc. and a 3/4 mile range. I have had Dogtra and all I will say is Never Again..........Bob

I almost forgot, Sportdog has about the best Customer Service of any of the e-collar people. I had them for many moons and they have always fair and good. I know other dog lovers that say the same thing............Bob

i HAVE A NICE NEW DOGTRA SETTING ON THE SHELF it makes a real nice dummy collar as thet is all its good for when it was new strait out of the box its range wasnt any farther than a city block not real far and it was supposed to be a half miler they are junk in my opinion tritronics is the way to go

Back