Dog went into heat Sunday!!!!!

My dog started spotting on Sunday, she had a litter earlier this year and is off her normal schedule, I understand all about heat cycles and counting days and such. I am suppose to hunt mn. opener this weekend and head out to s.d next week, how have the rest of you fellow hunters handled this and are there any tricks I can try, for example I read on another forum where hound guys use Vicks rubbed on her bottom to prevent the smell from messing with males. I think I know the answers to my question but I just need vent out of frustration I guess.:mad:

My young Springer started her 1st cycle on Sept 7th and it last almost exactly 21 days. Spotting turned to dripping which was a pain in the keester since I was up north every weekend. She is a roman candle in the woods so putting a doggie diaper on her was NOT an option and there's no way she would keep it on in the house.
I hunt alone so it was a non issue in the woods as far as Males go. I had nitemares that males would be coming out from behind the trees to mount her. I DO NOT want puppies!
As far as hunting it was a non issue. Didnt affect her one bit.

If you'll have in tact males on your trip its probably unfair to them and their owners to bring along a F in heat.
Good luck

David0311

My dog started spotting on Sunday, she had a litter earlier this year and is off her normal schedule, I understand all about heat cycles and counting days and such. I am suppose to hunt mn. opener this weekend and head out to s.d next week, how have the rest of you fellow hunters handled this and are there any tricks I can try, for example I read on another forum where hound guys use Vicks rubbed on her bottom to prevent the smell from messing with males. I think I know the answers to my question but I just need vent out of frustration I guess.:mad:

Have 2 females--one in heat at this time--does not affect her or the other ones hunting one little bit --just returned from week hunting in Canada while she was in heat no effect--

HOWEVER--if you try to put her in the field at the same time as a male you are asking for trouble :eek:

All those home remedies remind me of years ago when people tried to use the rhythm method of birth control--you could tell who used that method--they were called PARENTS--:rolleyes:

Good luck--dc

A bitch in heat is a bitch in heat. Best to leave her home and hunt her later in the year. Frastratin when it happens but it us the right thing to do. Just think how upset you'll be if you find her accidentally locked up with a male, let alone a different breed.

David0311

A bitch in heat is a bitch in heat. Best to leave her home and hunt her later in the year. Frastratin when it happens but it us the right thing to do. Just think how upset you'll be if you find her accidentally locked up with a male, let alone a different breed.

Disagree respectfully:rolleyes: as stated in previous post depends on the dog and your hunting situation--and control of your dog--

You would not put them in the field with a intact male--that should be without question:eek:

Also should have control of your dog so no unwanted male would have a chance to breed her--

To make my point:cheers:'

Just finished my 7th day guiding since the S.D. Opener---

Have taken to date--191 birds about 3 out of 5 flushed and retrieved by a my one female who was in heat until two days ago --the rest by my other dog who when in heat can be a real air head--

JMHO. Based on fact and experience. :coolpics::rolleyes:

Well that is all fine and dandy when you are hunting on private land. Most of us hunt public where OUR control osn't the issue. Ever return to your truck and some A hole with no control over his dog is loafing around? JMHO based on fact and expirience.
Disagree respectfully:rolleyes: as stated in previous post depends on the dog and your hunting situation--and control of your dog--

You would not put them in the field with a intact male--that should be without question:eek:

Also should have control of your dog so no unwanted male would have a chance to breed her--

To make my point:cheers:'

Just finished my 7th day guiding since the S.D. Opener---

Have taken to date--191 birds about 3 out of 5 flushed and retrieved by a my one female who was in heat until two days ago --the rest by my other dog who when in heat can be a real air head--

JMHO. Based on fact and experience. :coolpics::rolleyes:

Here is my plan!!

Leaving for South Dakota tomorrow, everybody is aware of situation, she will be on days 20-21. So I'm just going to crate her for first two days and then run her. I appreciate the input and will keep you all posted on our success or lack of. We will be hunting private ground, with the corn around 90% removed.

I had a breeding pair once. It was strange. My male always lost interest before my female. Neighbors would tell me my dogs bred when it was the female on top.

I hunted my female alone when she was in heat. Ran into hunters who I knew. Told them where I was going. Ask them to go to the farmer's other parcel. Before we left the first field, the other guy with male dogs was there.

Back