dog types and scenting

Bob Peters

I'm wondering the main differences between dog breeds and the way they scent. I'm sure there's nothing 100% definitive on this, as dogs themselves are individuals regardless of breed. I've spent most time hunting with retrievers, although have done a good bit with a brittany. I am not biased, I love all bird dogs, just to get that out of the way. With Ms. Golden Retriever, when she hits a hot scent, her nose is glued to the ground. I'll see her running nose down tracking a birds path. I have noticed a little more lately she will "air scent" with her nose up high. I was wondering in general if pointing breeds tend to air scent more versus retriever breeds ground scenting. Really I'm just trying to learn more about bird dogs in general. Stuck in suburbia, I have a longing to discuss these points with others bird dog hunters and bird hunting enthusiasts.

I have had a pointing lab, a German Wirehair and a Drahthaar. All had their own way of pointing. The Draht pointed differently depending on how far away the bird was. If the bird was close his head was low, the further the bird the higher the head. He pointed birds the furthest of them all. I don't know if that holds true for all dogs or not.

Our griffon has nose in the air searching unless there is a strong scent, then nose to the ground with grunts...

Back