Dog Tiring

bdub20

My dad's Brittany is about a year old and is coming along nicely as a bird dog. However the dog runs himself to death when in the field. He doesn't know how to pace himself and usually looks like he is about to pass out after a couple of hours. What are some tips on teaching him how to pace himself? I know some hunters only hunt dogs in the morning or afternoon, but is there other things to get him to teach himself to pace himself so he will be able to hunt longer?

He should figure it out on his own. He is young. Take him to some cover that will MAKE him figure it out. A field of thick tough cover. Wear his ass out in that. Just be carefull in the heat. Easy running fields parks etc. kind of entice that free running spirit. If he gets a heavy dose of briars cattails and thick junk, that will slow him up.

as FC said- he's young- he'll learn- sometimes when you only take a youngster for 1/2 hour or so runs- they go all out

go find a decent field- mile by mile- drive into the middle- unload the dog-
do that 4 times in a row- the dog will catch on

do you have a Garmin- or someone you know has one- put it on- let us know how fast and for how long-

some of us want ours to lay a trail of sparks-

I have three young Britt's- they have wheels- doesn't mean they are running till they drop-

your dog may just be blasting out- and then when the excitement wears off stays in close and moves at his pace- seemingly to you- "ready to drop"- very few if any dog will run very long at a pace that will hurt them- they know when to shut down- some call it- blasting out and away, and soon settling down to their hunt mode

we've had 40 some over a 100 degree days- my three don't know better when I open the gate- they'll be out 300+ yards- come back a bit later and jump in the stock tank- then head back out= they know

Try a check lead to regulate his range.

Try a check lead to regulate his range.

you're kidding right- "old school" we tried- you of course have tried a 10' lead, a 30' lead, a 100' lead, and a 300' lead
but hold on- you can't shock the dog- I've got a couple young Britt's- you want to show how you can shorten their range by a check cord- you're fleet of foot of course

Last edited:
Back