Dog Tags

Fasenbuster

Something I have not seen much of that would be a great topic, DOG TAGS
I have seen a lot of dogs in the field without any tags.
To me this is one of the most important items to have on your list of gear.
In my opinionâ?¦
Never put your dogs name on the tag. Not everyone out there is honest enough to return a found dog and if they know your dogs name it will make it that much easer to bond and control your dog.
Put your cell phone number on the tag! If you lose your dog it will more than likely be when youâ??re out in the field far from home.
Never use a dangling tag. The reasons are obvious. I like the brass type that is riveted tight to the collar.
Buy a few spares. The brass tags are cheaper in larger quantities. Put some on extra collars to use if you buddyâ??s forgot to bring thereâ??s. I use these on my tree stands, tool boxes, gun case, you get the idea these are great to identify numerous items.
â??Reward if foundâ?� should be the first line on the tag. Even if you only offer a small amount this is a good motivator for someone to make that call.
REWARD IF FOUND
YOUR NAME
YOUR ADDRESS (at least City and State)
HOME #
CELL #

I use a plastic type collar that is sold in many stores (lucky brand I think). I have been writing dogs name and my cell number with a sharpy right on the collar. Seems to work good and last a long time without rewriting.

You're right, it is important to have some form of I.D on your dog at all times.

Get a Night Lite catalog. They have brass tags that they call a dog traders tag. It has loops on each end for the collar to slip through and lays flat on the collar like the riveted ones only you can move it to a new collar when the dog grows.

cabelas carries the riveted collars at a decent price. i have the leather for home and orange for the collar. only change i would make, is they only allow three lines with limited characters per line. but a good collar for the price.

In addition to collars with all the info listed above all my dogs get microchiped and it has been used to recover a dog a few years ago. It is very cheap and most animal control & vets have the scanners.

I use a plastic type collar that is sold in many stores (lucky brand I think). I have been writing dogs name and my cell number with a sharpy right on the collar. Seems to work good and last a long time without rewriting.

You're right, it is important to have some form of I.D on your dog at all times.

Do not write the dogs name on the tag or collar..write your name and phone number. Whoever finds your dog may just keep it if they already know the dogs name...it is easier to give back a lost dog when you dont know its name and they dont listen. Never ever put the dogs name on its tags your chances of getting him back are reduced greatly.

great point about the microchipping. luckily havent had to use mine yet. not cheap but worth it. keep an eye out at rescue shelters or animal clinics. they usually have microchipping clinics. price is dirt cheap. i was quoted 180 by a clinic for a chip in my dog. paid twenty at the microchip clinic. left more in the pocket book and room for a donation back to the shelter.

Back