dog scabs around eyes and on nose after weekend hunt

tobymac

Just looking for some help. My chocolate lab is all scabby around the eyes and on his nose from a weekend hunt in South Dakota. Is there any thing I can put on his nose or around his eyes for the scabs to heal faster. Something that I don't have to worry about him eating or gettin in his eyes or nose. Also is there anything out there that I can use just before we hunt to help avoid this in the future.

Get some Panalog from your vet. My guess is your hunting thistles. Any way to avoid them. I stay away from cockle burrs (thimble burrs) when I see them. They're not worth the hassle.

Get some Panalog from your vet. My guess is your hunting thistles. Any way to avoid them. I stay away from cockle burrs (thimble burrs) when I see them. They're not worth the hassle.

We did not hunt in thistles or cockle burrs. It was all South Dakota sloughs and CRP it was really really thick though and my dog Toby was going 110 mph through it all.

Any other suggestions

You probably want to be very careful putting anything around the eyes to avoid anything getting in the eye itself and causing further irritation. Make sure there is no matter (seeds, grass etc..) on the inner lids. If the eyes look dry I often times use Puralube which is a white petroleum/mineral oil combo to help lubricate dry eyes. Just a pinch on the inner lids followed by a light message is all it takes. It's cheap and you can find it fairly easily.

ON the nose you could try some triple antibiotic ointment (e.g Neosporin), bag balm or even Vaseline if that's all you have.

Last edited:
We all have run into this. You can relate your self most likely. Put a pair of boots on and go for a 5 mile trudge for the first time. We get blisters. It can be best avoided by walking the dog or running them several times before the opener. They toughen up those areas that are tender. Then the big weekend comes and they don't get it near as bad. My dogs I train in CRP all year never have an issue. But the dog I take out hunting on opener gets tender lip etc. I just give them a break and let it settle down and it gets better each time. The same thing goes for thier feet.

My ESS gets rubbed a littel raw on the outside of the eyes also. They water for a couple days then they heal and are toughed up. I put a little emt gel on just to help the burning, if it is actually burning. The crp grass will do that, same thing on the underside. Just takes some trips to the field to toughen those spots up.

Hey all my dog had the scabs again after last year of hunting but I seen his redish raw eyes and nose after the first day of hunting. I brought some vasiline and rubbed it on the affected areas that night in his kennel just before bed and just before we hunted the next couple days and every night. The scabs and scars never crusted over or got that bad after that. Just thought I would pass it on

Hey all my dog had the scabs again after last year of hunting but I seen his redish raw eyes and nose after the first day of hunting. I brought some vasiline and rubbed it on the affected areas that night in his kennel just before bed and just before we hunted the next couple days and every night. The scabs and scars never crusted over or got that bad after that. Just thought I would pass it on

My wife keeps a tin of something called Bag Balm in the first aid bag and I carry a tube of Neosporin ointment in my hunting vest for scrapes and minor scratches.

Vaseline is fine for scraps and chapped areas if the dog is going to be home resting for a few days. If the dog is going to be hunting consecutive days then bag balm is much better. It's got a heavier consistency and has healing properties to it. In a nutshell, it stays on much longer when the dog is out moving through the brush. Keep away from the eyes though. for the eyes use Puralube.

bagbalm_zps5b450d28.jpg

Where can I get some Bag Balm? I'm headed to SD and my dog is one of 2 that will have to hunt for our group. Not sure what to expect so I want to be 100% ahead of any problems that may come up.

;)

Farm stores.... FleetFarm, Tractor supply I know carries it, but call ahead to make sure.

You may be able to find a similar product called "Udder Balm". Drug stores may carry it??

Last edited:
Bag Balm is the ticket.It's marketed for chapped skin for humans.Wal Mart,Walgreens etc,or any farm store w/ vet supplies.You'll find that you will use more on your own wind-blown carcass than on the dog.

Back