Dog Injury

lovenstein

Morning All,

I took my two vizslas to a park a couple blocks from my house on Tuesday night just get some vinegar out. I opened the topper window (not the tailgate yet) and the 3 yr old decided he wasn’t going to wait for the tailgate to be opened - leaped over the tailgate down onto the paved road…the 8 year old got all nervous and followed suit. The old boy crashed into the concrete and immediately came up with a lame front right leg. Took him to the U yesterday and he saw a dog ortho doc. They said he has multiple fractures (inter carpal and carpometacarpal - I think that means wrist) and bone fragments in there. Recommend a bone fusion surgery that runs $4k-$5k. They said if we simply splinted/casted it that it might not heal correctly and he would likely never use that leg once the splint came off.

I’ve gotten past the “why did this happen” and “what could I have done differently to avoid this” so I’m not looking for a Monday morning quarterback here :) Just curious if anybody has gone through anything like this or if you have any thoughts on the options they’ve given.

Thanks,
Nick

Nick, so sorry to hear about your dog. I haven't gone through something like this so I can't offer any insight on your options. I have, however, been to the U of M and 3 separate occasions with dogs and I can tell you that you're at the right place. Not sure there is a vet out there that could, or would, do that type of surgery but you might want to consult with your normal vet to get their opinion. At 8 years old your dog still has quite a few good years left. So as much as it would suck financially I'd be inclined to have the surgery done. Best wishes to you and your dog and please let us know how this goes.

I appreciate it Dakota! The U had a busy schedule today so we kind of had to s*** or get off the pot (would have been pushed out a month or more if we didn't have it done today). So we ended up moving forward with the surgery which is a big financial smack in the face. However, whether he has another year or 6 years left - whenever the time comes I'll at least feel like I did my best for him. The surgeon was fairly confident that he would be able to run, swim and hunt after he recovers. I'm certainly hoping she was right! I'll let the group know how things go and what recovery looks like.

Thanks,
nick

I appreciate it Dakota! The U had a busy schedule today so we kind of had to s*** or get off the pot (would have been pushed out a month or more if we didn't have it done today). So we ended up moving forward with the surgery which is a big financial smack in the face. However, whether he has another year or 6 years left - whenever the time comes I'll at least feel like I did my best for him. The surgeon was fairly confident that he would be able to run, swim and hunt after he recovers. I'm certainly hoping she was right! I'll let the group know how things go and what recovery looks like.

Thanks,
nick
(y) I feel you made the right decision. Good luck and please do keep up posted.

Back