Dog giving up bird

bdub20

My 7 month old retriever is coming along nicely and I'm planning on mainly hunting upland game with him. However certain things he gets very possessive with, and of course he loves birds so that is one thing he doesn't want to give up. He'll go pick up the bird and usually comes back to me with it but doesn't want to give it up. He is fine with things like a ball, bumper, or even bird wing. I've been trying to work with him to release on command but he'll only do it with a treat and something he's not afraid to give up. We've been working with trying to use another dead bird so that he sees that there are plenty more and he doesn't need to worry about just keeping that one, that seems to be helping a little. I also am trying not to push it and rip the bird out so a lot of times he'll keep the bird in his mouth and go back to hunting. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Have some little pieces of hotdog on you. When he comes to you with the bird, put one hand under the bird, have a piece of hotdog in the other hand, and tell him to drop. Might work.

Thanks, I will try. It hasn't really worked with regular treats but he likes hot dogs better. My theory is to praise him a lot when he releases and either throw another bird right away or give it back to him to let him know he doesn't have to try and keep it from me.

Is you dog a Golden Ret.??

If so, they tend to be very possessive and show off a bit. I use an electric collar and hit the buzz if my dog doesn't give the bird. This usually works - they know the command!

First lift his front feet off the ground and if that doesnt work lift his entire body off the ground. The dog will feel out of his comfort zone and drop what is in his mouth most of the time.

bdub20, I would take a break from retrieve training...work on other aspects of his training...the retrieve work is often more about us than it is the dog...overly repetitive retrieve work can result in a possessive quality...only three retrieves max per session, no more, no less...my youngster is a natural retriever and I know, because of his keenness to retrieve, I could really abuse it...

Last edited:
I agree with minimizing retrieval training per Tori.

Thanks for all the input. So if I should minimize his retrieving training do you think it's ok to take him out hunting, for example dove season is starting. I'd like to take him dove and duck hunting this year. He is getting better and better at working areas looking for birds to flush. Also how much older should he be for me to work more with the retrieves? I'm assuming it's something he'll grow out of but he is possesive about a lot of things, not just birds.

bdub20,

I'd keep the pup out of the dove field until you have a better understanding of the possessive behavior. There are so many issues with a young dog and retrieving doves that it takes a book to explain.

I know how excited you probably are to get the pup out there and get some huntin' under your belts, but you may be setting yourself up for a more serious retrieving issue down the road.

There is no magical age to "restart" the pup retrieving; it'll take as long as it takes to resolve the possessiveness issue. Give it a couple weeks and try a retrieve or three, see what happens - lots of praise and DO NOT be in a rush to take the object from the pup, it'll let you know when you can have it. You can always gently cue the pup on the flank if you think it is being uncooperative in releasing the object.

If you put a lot a pressure on the pup it'll probably never outgrow the "It is mine" mentality and you'll have to deal with it for a very long time.

Last edited:
Yes, Beaker, I agree...a seven month old puppy is a joy but I have made the mistake in the past of forgetting just how young they are...I have always tried to expose my puppies to their working environment as often as possible so that they can learn how the wind works scents, the clag of mud, etc...not in a hunting sense, but just being out there figuring out stuff that we can never teach them...

I have never been in favour of giving dogs treats...my puppy's reward is being out there with me. Heaps and heaps of praise...even if he has been naughty and finally comes back, heaps of praise, because coming back to me must be his focus. His attention must be on me always...that way the recall, the stop (whoa) comes naturally to him.

I would not "Trade" any game for a treat.
Now with that being said, you have a young dog that is willing to bring you the bird, but wants to "prize" it. I would say for now that is ok. Let him prize a bit and then take the bird.
The last thing you want to do is have him willing bring the bird to you and then you do something harsh to take it away. Then you wll have to not only work on him "giving" you the bird, but "taking" it away.
Save the harshness for Force Fetch training. Right now everything should be geared at having fun.
This is as long as there is no real "Aggression" issues.

As far as doves go, I wouldnt take him dove hunting. Doves shed their feathers so easily, some dogs dont even like to retrieve them. I can blame them. I have to wash out my dogs mouths when they bring them in.

Back