Dog eats poo

FCSpringer

OK this first of all is not for me, my dog or related to me, Yea right thats what they all say hah.:D My wife wants me to ask for a friend she has at work, Her dog is eating it's own terds and won't quit,
I can't think of anything to do for this short of some face rubbing in it and stern no's or an ear pinch a few times. I don't know. It's one of those things that all dogs might do once and a while but this one is so bad it gets sick from doing it too much. So she wanted me to embarass myself and ask you all what she should try. I told her to eat some her self and get an educated guess as to why the dog is doing this, but she did not like that Idea. Kinda funny I saw this on another site too and I replied pretty much the same. But not real good advice there either. :laugh:

OK this first of all is not for me, my dog or related to me, Yea right thats what they all say hah.:D My wife wants me to ask for a friend she has at work, Her dog is eating it's own terds and won't quit,
I can't think of anything to do for this short of some face rubbing in it and stern no's or an ear pinch a few times. I don't know. It's one of those things that all dogs might do once and a while but this one is so bad it gets sick from doing it too much. So she wanted me to embarass myself and ask you all what she should try. I told her to eat some her self and get an educated guess as to why the dog is doing this, but she did not like that Idea. Kinda funny I saw this on another site too and I replied pretty much the same. But not real good advice there either. :laugh:

If she doesn't like being forceful with the dog try sprinkle Meat tenderizer on the dog food, it worked for my chesapeakes

OK, so now I am curious this is put in the food. Comes out and has a diferent taste they don't like? Does prolonged use cause any problems? this is a new one to me but interesting. Thanks and if it works she would say thanks too. :thumbsup:

I was told by a breeder along time ago that it changes scent of the poop not the taste and is completely harmless to the Dog. it should take a couple of days to start working.

Remember that these dogs come down from wolves. There are many things we don't fully understand and looking at it from a human perspective is different than from a dog's perspective. If the dog is eating his poop, smearing it on his face isn't any different. There are some commercial products to put on the food that makes the feces unpalatable, but I would try the tenderizer first. This is often very common in certain strains of dogs. One other thing to try is to make sure the dog is getting exercised every day. Sometimes it is from boredom.

Back