dog dip

has anyone ever used 55% malation as a dog dip or knows someone who has I have heard of it but am a little concerned as I know the dangers that it has but as I said I have heard of somepeaple using it any info appreciated I know that in the military they used it as a dip for the dogs in vietnam but they didnt give any great detail as to how they did it

Back in the 1970's a lot of the commercially sold dog dips had a malathion base. I used it then, being young and trusting. Honestly can't say I recognized any problems at the time, lasts about 7 to 10 days with tick and flea free results. Being wiser with age and naturally skeptical, I would think twice about now. Since then we are learning that all these products may be harmful to you and your buddies, including the over the counter flea collars and spot treatments. I certainly understand the frustration with ticks and fleas! As a little kid I remember my grand dads collies coming in from timber with nasty ticks of all sizes and varieties, engorged, we dutifully picked off. Yuck! hence the Malathion, precor, sevin experiments. what I use now is the simple green sargents flea and tick soap, extremely mild, so I'm not afraid to use it every 7 days, works good,costs 2.00 bucks at the grocery store in bar form. and if the fleas get to be a problem, a little 7% sevin garden dust, in the bedding. Both as inoccuous as possible and still work. I believe that both sevin dust, and malathion, ( sometimes sold as bagworm spray), are still labeled in the fine print as pesticides for pets and livestock, and give mixing instructions. may turn out that granddads collies got the best cure, hand removal, but that was before Lyme, or at least before we knew what lyme was. As for the army, any Vietnam era advice from the army, as to how to treat anything, is laughable to me. As in do you believe they had the best long term interests of the dog at heart? Or the troops for that matter. See use of Nitofurazone on humans, or agent orange. The local animal or human doctors will only tell you what you can use that won't kill you and the dog immediately, but will kill pests, perferablly with something the pharmacuetical company sold them at a really nice markup. Long term, you are on your own, do your research, make the best informed decision you can. If one of your choices makes your lips turn blue, or your hands shake uncontroablly for a few days after application discontinue use. ( just kidding, kinda). Pete

I havent had any luck with the dog shampoos its kinda hard to get all the dogs in the tub much less every 7 days and I just picked up some seven dust I tried using borak with no luck even thoughit has worked for others and the whole feed your dog garlic is bunk to

I agree with the garlic! Is your primary problem fleas or ticks? If it's fleas, spray with Precor. It's an insect growth regulator, doesn't worm on adult fleas but disrupts the growth cycle of larval stage, in a few weeks no adults, seems to last for months, I have really broken the back of the little demons with this product, in fact at my house with indoor outdoor cats, ( the wife and kids pets), and the indoor outdoor dogs, no fleas yet this year. Ticks are a complete other issue, years ago we burned brushy fields and woodlots, seemed to keep them down, but alone you can't burn the whole county. We had guineas for a while, they really work over the ticks, unfortunately, they were worked over in turn by the bird dogs. Nice off season diversion to point and eventually catch and retrieve, little hard on the bird though, after a while. I have french and american britts, and find they are extremely sharp or gamey, deer, sheep, any manner of fur or feather is irresistable. Used to have english setters and pointers, never even looked at chickens, or rabbits, let alone deer and livestock, but these britts are clever, devious, little buggers and full of mischeif, and have to be re-educated as to the off limits over and over! As for the original treatment for ticks, I have no clue but to use the kids to inspect every darn dog every day they are out of the kennel, so everyday it is, and we still miss them. I doubt any treatment will actually kill ticks for more than a week, especially with britts who get in the water constantly. Pete

Back