Dog Circleing Birds

what kind of dog? how old? and how experienced? be a little more specifc and i thinks we could help you out a little better

ok so its still a young dog. how many birds has he been on? how long have you worked with him? first thing i would do is put him on a check cord and practice the "WHOA" command. as soon as he hits point tell him WHOA and he should not move at all. not even a step. i practice the whoa at home first and once you tell the dog to whoa the dog should stop in his tracks and if he doesnt i pick him up by the tail and collar and put him back in the same spot i told him to whoa. it gets kinda repetative and frustrating but its something you need to have your dog know. then i would put him on birds. if he hits his point and holds the point until the bird flushes i would shot the bird for him. if he walks or circles i would not give him the reward. thats how i do it i'm sure other people have other opinions. good luck and remember patience is the key with young dogs. they still have alot of learning to do

How do you know the bird is holding still all the time he is working and pointing it? He could be circling to cut off the bird before he breaks into a full run. I would leave him alone on the circling and see what develops at an older age. My dog is 10 years old and he circles too, but only to cut off/stop a running bird. Trust the dog it knows more what that bird is doing than you do. He has years of breeding and instincts to help him. Believe in him, he really does know more about hunting birds than you do......Bob

Last edited:
Back