Dog Chest Protector

BritChaser

Please tell me where I can get a chest protector for the dog. Prefer one with leg hind leg protection too.

Last edited:
I'm unaware of any that cover the legs too, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

I'm in the process of changing over all my dogs from Browning skid plates to CUGA Vests. Near as I can figure, they afford the most protection this side of a kevlar boar dog vest. This is Harley modeling his CUGA Vest...

Thank you guys!

From the picture, it appears the Cuga vest utilizes Velcro in lieu buckles to secure the vest. Is this correct?

From the picture, I like the fact the Cuga vest protects the spine area as well. I have had a couple dogs cut themselves when they walked/crawled under barb wire. My current vest only protects the chest and underbelly. No protection along the spine area.

From the picture, it appears the Cuga vest utilizes Velcro in lieu buckles to secure the vest. Is this correct?

From the picture, I like the fact the Cuga vest protects the spine area as well. I have had a couple dogs cut themselves when they walked/crawled under barb wire. My current vest only protects the chest and underbelly. No protection along the spine area.

Yes, it uses velcro down the back like most neoprene waterfowl hunting vests. Has a good 6"width so there is a lot of adjustment. Harley weighs 60-63 lbs and a medium fits him great.

Harley needs all the protection I can get him as he hunts balls to the wall hard. A couple weeks ago he encountered a quill pig and got a muzzle full of quills. we never saw the porky and he never made a peep, he hunted a good 5-10 minutes more before we noticed he looked like a pin cushion. Never made a peep when I pulled over a dozen quills out, then went back into rooster overdrive w/o missing a beat...

Couple days later he misjudged a fence and hit it chest high at full speed, then over the top of the wire, raking it down his belly. His skid plate was shredded and he suffered one minor cut under his armpit where that particular vest didn't cover. I have no idea how he didn't damage his wedding tackle...

Just took delivery of a CUGA for my second hardest hunting lab, a member of the Butt Sisters, Warrior Princess Born To Boogie, call name Boogie...

Last edited:
I just ordered two from Sylmar at www.sylmardogwear.com. After trying them on the GSP's, I can pin them and send them back and have them custom fitted for free not counting postage. I'll keep you posted.
JMc

My vest from Sylmar saved my Springer last week as she danced with the Barbed wire devil. Got a 1 1/2" cut on her leg and a few rips on her vest in the chest. Without the vest we would had a VERY different outcome. I'll most likely never hunt without a vest again. I know some dogs are more methodical in their hunt style. Springers are full throttle all the time.

I just ordered two from Sylmar at www.sylmardogwear.com. After trying them on the GSP's, I can pin them and send them back and have them custom fitted for free not counting postage. I'll keep you posted.
JMc

thank you!

My dog has been using the Cuga for the past 2 seasons - I loved it, extremely durable and the Velcro never failed but after a SD trip she had way too much chaffing in her front armpits which led to her chewing at her skin. Long story but I ended up needing antibiotics from the vet for under-arm infection. I emailed with the Cuga folks and they now have narrow sizing which may help with that (it sounded like a common issue for dogs in their vests) - so if you go with Cuga make sure you find the right size as they have more options now than before.

I've moved on from Cuga and looked all over for one with front sleeves. I've moved to this K9 topcoat brand. https://k9topcoat.com/product/sports-vest/

I've been out 2x with it (in the deep snow this past weekend) and its great so far, hoping it is as durable as the Cuga.

I bought a narrow chest CUGA vest about a month ago. I wasn't sure how my Vizsla was going to like it or how the fit would be. It fits well and has not rubbed at all. Love the Velcro instead of buckles. This morning Ellie went to retrieve a Rooster on the edge of a field we flushed out of the cattails. I saw her leaping through the snow and then do a head over heals tumble as she hit a old barb wire fence. She too that one right on the lower chest. Granted the barb wire may not have been sharp but the vest absorbed the brunt of it and she finished the retrieve without a scratch. It also has protected as much of her as can be expected while hunting those nasty cattails. She willingly lets me put this on her and actually seems to appreciate its add protection. Also makes her easier to spot in the cattails.

Thanks to all. I went to Cabela's in KC and bought a size small of the only such item it had on the shelf - and it is dandy. Fits my 35# brit girl perfectly and is highly functional.

I have tried vests from Cabela's, Sylmar and now Cuga.

I picked up the Cabela's vest a few years ago and the first time I used it on one of my GSP's it rubbed his "armpits" really bad and so it went into the box.

This year in ND, that same dog impaled himself on a stick requiring stitches in his chest. After that I swore I wouldn't hunt them without a vest, I had picked up the Sylmar last year but hadn't used it. I used the Sylmar on the injured dog and the Cabela's on the other. The dog wearing the Sylmar has a very thin hair and two of the three buckles rubbed the hair off his back under those buckles. I have used the vest on my other dog and he hasn't had the issue with rubbing from the buckles.

A couple weeks ago I picked up a Cuga vest and IMHO that is one of the best out there. The thing I like the most is that it provides protection along his back to protect from being cut by barbed wire when he scoots under.

I think the biggest issue with any vest is the fit. From now on I won't put a vest on without having them try it on around the house so I can observe them for any issues..

Hope this helps and you find something that works for your dog.

Todd

Glad I happened upon this thread as I have been looking at getting some protection for my ECS. Last weekend we were out on an old farmstead for some exercise and came across more than a few old fences and junk imbedded in the brush. Thought to myself that a vest of some kind would be a good investment. Much better than vet bills not to mention having to listen to my wife and daughter give me hell for letting something happen to Ernie. Of the ones mentioned I like the k9 topcoat. Would assume by his first hunting season he’ll be fully grown. Thanks all for the input, Dave

I ran Miya in a Sylmar vest the last two trips. Really good quality and fit. She has a heavy coat, so the buckles were not an issue. They did hang hang up a little on the fence lines, but not problematic. I have a puppy coming in Feb., and this Fall I’ll try a Cuga for comparisons sake. View attachment 9662

Back