Dog Breed Popularity

BritChaser

Surprised to see that per the AKC, GSPs are the 10th most popular breed in the U.S. As always, labs and goldens are at or close to the top.

Back 40 or so years ago I attended and even entered a dog or two in AKC confirmation shows. That is a world most of us can not begin to understand. It has its place but one I can’t begin to grasp. Those dogs in the show ring are really not working dogs per se but eye appealing companions, nothing wrong with that. Just not my taste.

Ya, and they cost thousands of dollars to get one too. People are even stealing them.
That's one thing I can't understand. Is people paying thousands of dollars for a dog that's just a dog. I was talking to someone awhile back about dogs (a non hunter) and mentioned I had Small Munsterlanders and how they are a bit of a rare breed in the US.

They asked how much I paid since I said they were a little rare here and told them they go for about $1500-2000 and they said "oh so not too much" and they mentioned some dog they had that they paid like $2800 for that's just a pet at home. I couldn't believe it. It's one thing paying 2 grand for a well bred hunting dog with good lines that's going to spend 10+ years with you working for you, it's another to spend that for a dog that's going to sit on the couch for 10 years.

Ya smaller ankle biter fashion popularity breeds have no appeal to me either. Obviously they are very popular though, and the data shows it. Most pet owners are not hunters like us. We're in the very small minority overall.

I don't agree having a cat either, but that's just me.

Ya smaller ankle biter fashion popularity breeds have no appeal to me either. Obviously they are very popular though, and the data shows it. Most pet owners are not hunters like us. We're in the very small minority overall.

I don't agree having a cat either, but that's just me.
It's one thing having one (my mom has a 10 pound ankle biter sized dog that's just fine as a house pet for her that she paid $300 for 16 years ago) but to pay 2800 for one?! I'll pass on that all day.

I dont judge what other people spend their money on, its what makes the world go round.
My 2 sporting breed hunting dogs are without question pets first. HOw can they not be with such a short hunting season.
Ive also seen small sporting breed dogs in the sub 20 lb size that are beasts in the field.
Im not a small dog guy either but come across a few that I liked. The lil nippy ones I can do without.

I am pretty sure any reputable bird dog breeder doesn't have a dog at less than $1K and many are somewhere between $1200 - $3000.

We have friends who's future DIL bought a designer mix for $2500 ... crazy.

Adoption dogs run $500 or $600 +/- $250 but that does include neuter/spay and quite a few vaccinations.

Some 40 years ago - my pro-trainer (very highly rated ... my only experience with a pro trainer actually having my dog and a story in waiting on why he was the last) called me up and said a lady in Ohio was offering me $2500 for my Brittany because of its coloring and near perfect breed conformation. I was just out of high school and said no ... he was a family dog and my 1st bird dog.

There are plenty of pro trainers and breeders of hunting dogs that don't quite get the family dog first & lives inside hunting dog mentality.

I am pretty sure any reputable bird dog breeder doesn't have a dog at less than $1K and many are somewhere between $1200 - $3000.

We have friends who's future DIL bought a designer mix for $2500 ... crazy.

Adoption dogs run $500 or $600 +/- $250 but that does include neuter/spay and quite a few vaccinations.

Some 40 years ago - my pro-trainer (very highly rated ... my only experience with a pro trainer actually having my dog and a story in waiting on why he was the last) called me up and said a lady in Ohio was offering me $2500 for my Brittany because of its coloring and near perfect breed conformation. I was just out of high school and said no ... he was a family dog and my 1st bird dog.
Well let's hear the story.

Back