Dog and Birds

rugardave

Hi Guys,
I'm still working with the same dog which is a 2.5 year old yellow lab. He does all the fetching I could want with pistol and S. gun used with blanks or poppers. He is very skittish around a live bird (quail), can scent it and see it but won't go near it the way my other dogs did. My question is, is there some way to help this along or should I just take my time and work up to the point where he'll really go after it? thanks for you help. I've staked the bird and he'll circle it but won't go any closer.

Thanks Rugardave

Sounds to me like you've got a dog on the verge of being gunshy at 2.5 years old. I would likely enlist some professional help.

Last edited:
I don't think it's a gunshy issue,most gunshy dogs run at the sight of a gun, a few will blink birds to avoid gunfire. This seems like bird blinking pure and simple, could be that the dog was exposed to some over-exuberant correction with quail. I would use some of the birds to "play" with or tease the dog, to build confidence, desire, and breakdown the barrier that this dog feels toward live birds. Let him mouth them, play a little, get a good mouthful, then get him to release, and throw it for him to retrieve. If it is a flushing issue, run in there when he hesitates and flush the bird hard, act enthusiastic, get him to go with you, praise him up when he finds a bird, even if you flush, when he does flush, it's a full fledged love fest. I have known dogs who were a little soft or young, being startled by the sound of a quail flushing,( I've experienced this myself!), it can take some time to get over. Experience will generally cure all ills. Ironically sometimes it's the dog that's an angel to live with, that has some issues of this type. I call problems of this sort "the thinking dog issues". If you use a correction collar, don't, lots of advice on bringing down a "hard" dog, less about building up a soft dog. Soft dogs are easier to live with, and can be just as effective as any other, it's the tendency to over think the issue that gets them in trouble, because they are always trying to anticipate what you want them to do, so they can do it right. Once they understand the rules, and it usually only takes one perfect lesson, they are trained for life. No need for refresher courses, or annual pissing contests to determine who's boss! I have had many of both types, I look back a little more fondly on the dogs who were softer, a little smarter, and came on a little slower. Make sure the dog knows what you want, make sure there's a reward for the behavior you want when you get it, and carry on.

I'd start getting the dog used to retrieving a dead pigeon, possibly a frozen one, by throwing it for him like you would a dummy. Then from there, I'd try to get him retrieving a clip-wing pigeon, so that he's going to get the retrieve even if the bird tries to flush or run away. Lots of excitement and encouragement is good. You can start by tossing the bird for him, and then move on to planting clips and letting him find them. Once he's doing that enthusiastically, you can start thinking about working towards flushing birds and shooting... As a general comment, I think you should worry about getting him comfortable with birds before you worry about the gunfire. Good luck!

-Matt

How is he with a dead quail?

like was said before - throw that quail and freak out with love when he is interested / gets it / retrieves

I'd say you could also go right next to the staked bird or even hold it and get him interested - call him to you for some smelling and then you can hold the bird with more and more slack. I have found that you just need to show the dog that it's okay and fun and he'll catch on - so just follow the rule to keep everything positive and fun and slowly work your way up to live birds.

Chuck

Dogs and birds

Hi everyone,
As I said last time I did buy the quail and fortuntely the bird died. Once that happened and I found out I threw the thing a number of times and he fetched it each and every time. Even though it was wet and soggy it was no problem and and fetched other things too. Mabe I didn't wait long enough and let him fiddle around with the first time. I'm going to get more birds and keep working on it. Thanks again for all the help everything that everyone said happended like a text book. I can see light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks again

Forget the quail, get some pigeons. They last longer and you can feed them in a crate if you have a few. They do not cause such a flapping ruckus either. Many dogs until confident will blink at the flapping of a bird. You should do the frozen thing for a while, forget the cap guns and starter pistols all together, they are a useless tool 90% of the time and a problem causer 90% of the time as well. Just toss your birds and let him go, (frozen quail is fine) or pigeons if he does not like quail for now. Then when he retrieves them nice for a week or so, use a live pigeon with the wings locked so no flapping occurs. If you don't know how, electrical tape them together, it comes back off easy. MJinMN had some good points, I agree. Now this is all he gets to do when out for a while, NO FREE RUNNING. And, always do another dog first with lots of praise right in front of him crated or better yet chained just out of reach. Again put the guns away and starter pistols. If he watches this go on, it will develop a jealous behavior that will make him want to retrieve better then the other dog.:thumbsup:
In fact for two days just toss for the other dog making him watch and crate him up with nothing. This will 99% of the time do the trick for a blinking dog that has the softer side. But you can't rush this either. If you try this and like how it goes, get this far OK with locked wings first and let me know how it goes and I will help you further after that. This will be 2-3 weeks min. Never show frustration during this and have the mind the dog can do no wrong. AND KEEP SESSIONS SHORT... Only do a few tosses and go mow your weeds or something. U can do this at different times of the day waiting a few hrs each time. But over doing it will make things worse. Self restraint is key and hard to get you self to do, but do it.

Last edited:
Back