Does South Dakota law enforcement use pheasant decoys?

And to be clear, since a lot of this thread is calling out "road hunting", by definition that isn't a bad thing! Only the way it's practiced reflects on its legality. If you hunt a bird you see in a ditch while driving and follow all state rules I don't see anything wrong with it. If you shoot out the vehicle window or over private property lines, you are breaking laws and giving hunters a bad name.

They do it when the situation warrants especially when there is a legit safety concern with the landowner. These operations require higher up approvals with approved Operation plans.
Correct.....much like the placement of a decoy and operation of attempting to quell unlawful activity as it relates to why/where/when the decoy is placed, the observation and apprehension of violators....point is, these actually serve a legitimate law enforcement purpose, are practical, not enticement/entrapment, not "slob" work.
Wisconsin does utilize similar practices, as our laws regarding discharge of firearms within the road right away are different.

I am going to automatically assume that you are a habitual violator or have been caught in the past doing illegal activities. Usually people with that attitude have been caught and feel they shouldn’t have had to pay the piper for their violations but instead got off with a slap on the hand.

And what the OP said is not entrapment. They are not setting you up so that you have no choice in violating the law. It’s not different than a speed limit sign or stop sign.

Now if that sign was obstructed on purpose so that you could not see it that’s a different story.
Wow. Stupidity doesn't seem to be lacking these days. Better arrest him for his opinions because only a criminal would have that opinion. I never have ground pounded a bird on someone's private land.

You are the "back the blue" guy that encourages them to not abide by the constitution. That cheers and fawns when they are militarized and get military equipment. Too dumb to realize those guys will be sent after you one day. They will say "they were just doing their job" and "I have to feed my family".

You are a special kind. Sounds like you may have some experiences in what you call entrapment.
Oh no he has an opinion different from yours. He must be a criminal. You remind me of the hypocritical police chief who let's all his relatives get away with OWI's, assault, etc. While proudly beating your chest thinking you are enforcing the law.

Oh no he has an opinion different from yours. He must be a criminal. You remind me of the hypocritical police chief who let's all his relatives get away with OWI's, assault, etc. While proudly beating your chest thinking you are enforcing the law.
Opinions are one thing. Breaking written laws and calling it entrapment is another thing. And I actually do have family who is in law enforcement and not a single one of them would ever allow someone they knew to be treated any differently because they were family and friends. I am proud of my law enforcement family and respect what they do for the community. However legal methods they need to use to catch an offender is fine by me. Obviously you feel different.

I know my own beliefs on "road hunting" and "entrapment". The one thing I will add to the discussion is that anyone that falls for the ACME rental Pheasant Decoy deserves a citation. Unless they figure out how to make a drone look like a rooster and cackle like a rooster.

Screen Shot 2023-11-02 at 12.57.14 PM.png

Wow. Stupidity doesn't seem to be lacking these days. Better arrest him for his opinions because only a criminal would have that opinion. I never have ground pounded a bird on someone's private land.

You are the "back the blue" guy that encourages them to not abide by the constitution. That cheers and fawns when they are militarized and get military equipment. Too dumb to realize those guys will be sent after you one day. They will say "they were just doing their job" and "I have to feed my family".
Spoken like a true patriot. Be careful wing shooter, they are listening. If you and I are not on a government list of some kind we're not doing enough!!🇺🇲P.S. this was the very last emoji choice... hummmmmmmm...

I don't think anyone is pheasant hunting with the intent of "feeding their family." You'd have to harvest a heck of a lot of pheasants every season to feed a family of four just with roosters.
I was referring to the boot on the neck from the cop. Your comprehension skills are quite shallow

Look, some men need some authority figure to keep them moral, I guess. I'm not one of them. And I'm definitely not one who thinks the ends justify any means of policing. There are rules of engagement between cops and citizens in this country and there are good reasons why those rules have been laid down. But what's getting lost in all this boot-licking and knee-jerk simple-minded childishness ("You must be a criminal/cop-hater if you don't blindly profess your allegiance to any possible tactic law enforcement does!") is that the primary point of prohibitions from poaching animals from a car or road is not conservation...it's to prevent people from engaging in dangerous discharge of firearms. Tricking someone into unsafely firing a gun at a decoy is not okay just because that person is by definition engaging in a crime. It's dangerous, stupid, lazy, and yes...it is also antithetical to the American experiment and the values this country was supposedly founded upon.

Spoken like a true patriot. Be careful wing shooter, they are listening. If you and I are not on a government list of some kind we're not doing enough!!🇺🇲P.S. this was the very last emoji choice... hummmmmmmm...
I assume you are being sarcastic. Until confirmed, I shall spare you.

And to be clear, since a lot of this thread is calling out "road hunting", by definition that isn't a bad thing! Only the way it's practiced reflects on its legality. If you hunt a bird you see in a ditch while driving and follow all state rules I don't see anything wrong with it. If you shoot out the vehicle window or over private property lines, you are breaking laws and giving hunters a bad name.
When my dog was younger and learning, I hunted a lot of ditches. It provided a good way for me to work on keeping the dog in range as working too far out to the sides wasn't possible with a gravel road on one side and a (usually) harvested field on the other side.

What constitutional protection is the use of a game decoy infringing upon? Entrapment is a affirmative defense to criminal prosecution for a crime, and the courts have upheld that the use of game decoys to catch violators is a legitimate law enforcement method, not entrapment.
Militarize the police? As citizens we want to and can purchase any caliber high power rifle, magazines of high capacity, tannerite, thermal imaging optics, NVG optics and target illuminators,even ballistic protection, etc....but yet if law enforcement has this equipment to address the threats they face to perform their duties, it's "militarizing" them?

Back