Dodge City

Brody's dad

My brother and I are heading to the Dodge City area in the morning. First time we've been out west in quit a few years. No dogs and hunting public land, we're not expecting much. Just looking forward to getting out. I was wondering what you guys thought about the bird numbers in that area. Thanks for any responses.

Pheasant just so so.

Quail up and in areas not normally associated with quail.

Or so I hear, I am still deer hunting, trying to avoid tag soup.

Have a safe hunt.

Thanks for the responses.

We spent the morning west of Dodge City, the first 3 spots we kicked up several hens and a small covey of quail. One group had about 20 hens in it. After that we worked north and didn't see much. We saw 2 roosters while driving and that was it. We talk to another group of hunters (3 guys and 4 dogs) after lunch. They had only managed 1 bird all day and hadn't seen much else.

I was out near Dodge. Shot one rooster per day. No quail seen. Just a handful of pheasant. Disappointed that only one WIHA I checked had milo. Decided after two days would have more luck at home.

When I first came to Kansas about 2009, I saw large flocks of pheasants along the road. See a hundred in some trees. Guys were road hunting. It was amazing.

If you go the right direction from Dodge there were guys shooting limits on WIHA still last week. If you go the wrong direction it isn't so good. I have spent 8 days out there hunting so far and have averaged 3 birds a day. That was including the weekend with 40 below wind chills. I don't hunt all day, usually to early afternoon then kennel the dogs. I have never seen as many quail out there as there is this year. I plant on hunting 3 or 4 days every week in January.

Back