Dew claws?

Rogue Hunter

It seems these days, most breeders remove the pups' dew claws. However, my Setter still has hers, and, not saying there may never be a problem, I glad she has them when I see her go out on the ice of some of the potholes we hunt. For those that have dogs WITH dew claws, has your dog ever injured themselves? Presently, I'm content my dog still has them in case she ever breaks through the ice.

There is a growing trend among some field trailers in the retriever world to leave dewclaws intact. This stems from the incidence of metacarpal injury later in life attributed to the removal of the medial digit. These injuries are often career ending.

Any dog I intend to hunt will have dewclaws removed. I may entertain a dog with dewclaws that will traverse grounds that are routinely examined for hazards as most field trial grounds are.

I had a dog with dew claws. She did tear them a couple of times. Once I remember was on the stairs to the deck, the other time I’m not sure . But don’t remember ever having much trouble with them other then they’d slice you up in the swimming pool

I have had two Lab bitches from England. Both had front dew claws and were born without rear dew claws which is typical for the breed. Some Labs do have rear dew claws though.

I hunted the first one for 12 years without any dew claw problem of any type. It was just one more to trim on each foreleg when the time came.

My present six year old has hunted 6 years without any dew claw problem of any type. It is just one more to trim on each foreleg when the time comes

My six year old just had a litter. We did not remove the dew claws on any of those pups.

Generally speaking, the British don't remove front dew claws on Labs. It would be a fairly rare thing. Yet you don't hear of any big dew claw injury epidemic with Labs over there.

Their Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons sets their ethical and clinical standards for veterinary surgeons. From their website:

"27.26 Anatomically, the first digit of the fore limb is not a dew claw. Generally, the first digit of the fore limb is fully formed and has an important function. Not surprisingly dogs are often seen to use these ' thumbs ' exactly as you would expect - to help grasp food and other objects because they can be adducted, flexed or extended like any other digit, due to the bony articulation and the muscle attachments...

...27.28 The removal of the first digit of the hind limb (true dew claws) is justified in most circumstances.

27.29 The removal of the first digit of the fore limb is justified only if, in the veterinary surgeon’s professional opinion, the particular anatomy/appearance of the digits invites possible damage
"

I almost lost an absolutely awesome male Lab that had his dew claws removed as a pup on a large icy pond many years ago. The cripple swam to the edge of the ice about 40 yards out with the Lab in pursuit. The cripple hopped up on the ice and the Lab tried to follow but the ice was so thin it kept breaking every time he tried to climb up. I was helpless. I couldn't swim out to him but I did get a boat underway from a long way off. He struggled for maybe 10 minutes. He had to be exhausted. He finally broke in to thicker ice and I watched another 4-5 minutes as he tried to pull himself up with his fore legs. I could actually see him rolling his forelegs inboard as if to get a grip with dew claws. Innate behavior? Happenstance? I'll never know. I really thought at this point he wouldn't make it. It's a soul crushing feeling, knowing that I sent him for the duck. However, with a SuperDog effort, he finally drove himself up on to the thicker ice. Rear legs kicking and front paws trying I guess. He picked up the duck, stood panting a bit and then made the retrieve. My best friend, the vet I hunt with, and I decided that day we were never removing anymore pup dew claws. I'd rather have to deal with a dew claw injury than lose a dog. The boat got there after the retrieve.

Yeah, that's a one in a thousand or million situation out on the ice. However, that's about how I view a dew claw injury too.

YMMV. Do what you like with your dogs. I'm just relating my actual experience with dew claws.

I think the number of dogs that tear a dew claw is so few. Can it happen yes. By removing do you eliminate a potential injury, yes. likehihood of that specific injury, low. remove them if you'd like. I personally don't.

I think the number of dogs that tear a dew claw is so few. Can it happen yes. By removing do you eliminate a potential injury, yes. likehihood of that specific injury, low. remove them if you'd like. I personally don't.
My personal opinion is that if your dog goes with you everywhere like mine all have, hunting, fishin everywhere they will eventually tear one, and it’s usually a pain in the ass and not very comfortable for the pup

I've always been a "remove the dew claw" guy, but the last two pointers I bought still had them. As I watch them stretch and flex them, it gives me pause to think that they should automatically be removed. I haven't had issues with them tearing them either. Tails, sure. No issues with the dew claws though.

I've always been a "remove the dew claw" guy, but the last two pointers I bought still had them. As I watch them stretch and flex them, it gives me pause to think that they should automatically be removed. I haven't had issues with them tearing them either. Tails, sure. No issues with the dew claws though.
I have a setter w/dew claws and I see her using that part of her forepaw (assuming dew claw) to groom herself...cheeks and eyes.

What's curious to me with Labs is how they are getting injured when going through cattails; Injuries must be caused by sticks/branches?

Back