Deer season?

Matt33

Deer season in NH is a couple weeks away. Just curious how others alter their hunting during the big game seasons.

MN gun deer season open NOV.9th i plan to be hunting pheasant someplace i have 2 dogs & they are not welcome in deer camp so i draw the short straw & have to pass on gun deer season for the 2nd yr in a row i hunted deer since i was 12 it seems odd not to be in the deer woods on opener but i will get over it some day i guess id rather haul around a limit of pheasants then drag around a deer any day ive been there done that the fun stops after you shoot a deer i guess eating them is fun but i got to use my dogs on the hunt...

also i cant handle the sit & wait thing i got to still hunt for deer so much more fun... so im limited on wear i can do that now since my spot up on the canadian border is a draw unit only to hunt bummer was great ruffed & spruce grouse hunting & deer hunting also...

so short answer is no deer hunting for me this yr??? at least in MN i may hunt WI this season MN will be done & i can get away from the dogs a WK-END to hunt so i mite try to bag a deer this season??? i did a early antler-less gun deer hunt already here in MN i missed my doe so i had my chance already...

I am going to go for a few days I havnt been in years when I went to buy shells for my 308 I didn't even know what kind to buy its been so long I had to ask someone, I knew what grain but I didn't know what kind to use that expands inside a guy told me the corelock kind lol hope he is right :eek:

I adjust where I hunt. I know where there are going to be deer hunters so I stay away from those areas, especially early in the day. Mid-day I might hunt those spots because I know the deer-slayers will be home but I try to be considerate of their opportunities. I know when I'm deer hunting that I don't appreciate guys trampling all around me doing whatever it is they are doing.

I haven't checked this year's regulations yet, but historically, the Friday before deer opener is a no-shooting day throughout the state.

Over the years, I've kept the dog in the yard or the house for the opening week-end, and occasionally take it out to private land on which I know there are no deer hunters. Prior to getting Mick, a Springer, my dogs were GWPs and the liver and grey coat and large frame seemed to me to be too close to coyote colors to allow them out in a world with random rifle shooters.

That is the protocol for the typical 9-day hunt. The year when the politicians forced DNR to have a 4-a-day, three month long, "let's wipe out CWD" deer season, I pretty much restricted my bird hunting to small pieces of private property--not expecting birds, but wanting the hunt with the dogs.

I believe, without checking, that this year, hunters can shoot buck or doe, and then apply for additional tags when they register.

Be safe, have fun.

Mountain quail opens a week before rifle deer out here so I only get 1 werkend off quail hunting in until valley quail opens a 5 weeks later. Theres no way I'll hunt opening weekend of rifle season with my dogs, to many idiots with guns for my comfort. A couple weeks into the season I'll head back up since most of them will have given up in our zone where something like only 2% of tags are filled.

in MN we have enough public land to share deer is what people hunt when they say they are hunters in MN so deer gun opener is the most bizzy day in the hunting woods in MN that being said there is huge WMAs with very little trees or that are to long of a walk or to much work to get a deer out of i you do shoot 1 there so people do not hunt them areas for deer they are open all day to guys who want to pheasant hunt... we have had deer hunters pull up & ask what are you hunting & kinda like that we were doing a deer push for them through cover they did not want to walk "big cattail sloughs" for deer any way... they way i look at it is nobodys hunt is more importent then anybody elses but if you dont want your dog shot at by a pissed off deer hunter who only hunts 2-4 days a year & has a high power rifle then maybe avoid the deer hunters & wear they hunt deer???

i do plan on being out in the pheasant fields on gun deer opener its prime time pheasant hunting then all the other guys are chase n deer why not enjoy some wing shooting??? its better then sit n in the house wondering if anybody was deer hunting my spots ill just move to another area if there is deer hunters we have plenty of public lands to share in MN...

yes 150 grain core locked was my 308 round loved my model 100 win now i have the old 30/30 & still push the 150 threw it... mite try up north for deer if the weather out west or in ND/SD look bad its all still in the air but with 2 dogs & no sitter for them people dont like dogs in camp even though they like my dogs i cant blame them i guess???

Back