Deer Hunting???

I was approached by a neighbor (out in S E Iowa) about the possibility of letting guys pay to deer hunt my property. I thought I would check out Ultimate Deer Hunting website to see how much interest there might be. Site is still there, all news posts are over a year old, and when you hit "forum", you end up here, at UPH. Must have fallen thru the crack.
I tried trading for pheasant hunting priveleges last year, to no avail. Last December I found a dead 13 pointer with no visible wounds or blood pool. Neighbor thinks he may have choked on hedgeapple. Week later, got a call from a neighbor trapping and he found a 170 class 11 pointer someone shot but never found (1 tine busted, 12)
I wouldn't mind keeping it for myself, but I don't want to deal with lottery and I would much rather spend that time of year following my dogs. Anybody have any experience with this type of arrangement, would it generate any interest?

I'm not one for leasing lands. I loathe the whole leasing movement around here. A little here and there is one thing, but unfortunately It's taken over most everything that's worth while.:(

Bartering; To give you an example, in the past two years I've picked up on 5 new hunting spots within our area. All have deer hunting habitat, 2 duck, only one for pheasants. Deer are plentiful around here so to barter deer areas for pheasant is a tough sell.

I barter a deer area for pheasant hunting areas but it was a tough go. One of the other problems is where there's pheasant habitat deer hunters often don't want the deer disturbed by our dogs and shotguns.

There's an area near you with a healthy wild bird population but the deer are thick on the other end of the property so it's a no go on pheasants. Deer hunters don't want the deer bothered.

Have you tried putting an add in the paper for bartering? That may be a start.

Last edited:
Not sure if you plan to birdhunt on your property after you make a deal of some manner with a deerhunter.
Most, bowhunters especially, dislike leasing a property and then having anyone disrupting their deer's movements.....landowner included.
I don't lease my farm here in Ohio because I despise leasing...I do let several folks deerhunt, bow and gun, just to kill the wood's rats.
But, grouse have long since left so I am not out there affecting some fella sitting in a tree stand.
Which is another point re deerhunting....many will set up a deer feeder which will mostly feed nest predators such as raccoons...bowhunters can, not always, be a selfish lot.
It would be nice if deer feeders were made illegal but too much money being made in the deer hunt business for that to happen.
Sadly.
If you lease or whatever, consider the damage that deerhunters may bring to a other critters.
The other point is that, around here, one must be careful with bowhunters and killing dogs, birddogs getting out or not,...shoot, shovel and shut up is a bowhunter maxim these days...far too often.
Watch who you invite on your property...some talk a better game than they play.

Birddog,

If you do not deer hunt it yourself, you may want to consider leasing it as it may be getting poached in that area anyway (unless you are having somebody watching it carefully for you). I hear plenty of stories from SE Iowa as my uncle and his "friends" hunt there. If you are going to bird hunt it, you may want to consider just leasing it for the two shotgun seasons that way you get to bird hunt it for a month plus prior to the deer seasons and again afterward. I also have land in Iowa (I live in TX) but my partners family and my cousin deer hunt it (along with some poachers occasionally). I have drawn for deer in the past in Iowa but since they raised their prices through the roof for deer, I have quit doing that. Unfortunately, leasing is the wave of the future and I hate to see it go that route. In Texas, I would venture to guess 90% of deer hunters lease land.

I think you will have very limited interest in being able to trade deer hunting for pheasant hunting because you will come out on the wrong side of the equation in Iowa. You may want to try advertising in SD as that would probably be a much better deal for you. Just my 2 cents.

Yea I think posting that in SD would be a fair shot if that is what you want to do with your property. I would think that a pheasant guide would maybe trade a weeks self guided pheasant for a weeks worth of self guided deer hunting, kind of a "get away" for guides in the latter weeks of the season.

I'm not one for leasing lands. I loathe the whole leasing movement around here. A little here and there is one thing, but unfortunately It's taken over most everything that's worth while.:(

Bartering; To give you an example, in the past two years I've picked up on 5 new hunting spots within our area. All have deer hunting habitat, 2 duck, only one for pheasants. Deer are plentiful around here so to barter deer areas for pheasant is a tough sell.

I barter a deer area for pheasant hunting areas but it was a tough go. One of the other problems is where there's pheasant habitat deer hunters often don't want the deer disturbed by our dogs and shotguns.

There's an area near you with a healthy wild bird population but the deer are thick on the other end of the property so it's a no go on pheasants. Deer hunters don't want the deer bothered.

Have you tried putting an add in the paper for bartering? That may be a start.

I did try bartering last fall on this site to no avail on my property out in S E Iowa. I take it you are bartering here in northern Illinois. I know how the deer hunters are, used to hunt area just west of Marengo with descent bird population and shared field with bowhonters. They had permission as well as I did, tried to steer clear of them and know they didn't care for our presence... too bad. Chased up nice 10 pointer once that ran their way, so sometimes could work to their advantage. Property soon thereafter gobbled up by conservation district, Bastards! Regarding the area with healthy bird population and thick deer, northern Illinois as well? If so, got me scratching my head on that one. Not seeing much for deer around here anymore thanks to DNR and their out-of state sharpshooters(of course, no one around here has the ablity to use a high powered rifle over bait piles to anhiliate the heards,leave the carcass' lay, go into gas stations laughing and bragging about their conquest)...don't get me started, enough to piss a guy off to no end! As for the birds, seeing and hearing a few, seen better numbers on consevation district property, but of course you can't hunt that even though the area was funded by state habitat license fees AND P F(again, don't let me get started)!

Property soon thereafter gobbled up by conservation district, Bastards! Regarding the area with healthy bird population and thick deer, northern Illinois as well?

As for the birds, seeing and hearing a few, seen better numbers on consevation district property, but of course you can't hunt that even though the area was funded by state habitat license fees AND P F(again, don't let me get started)!

They've bought up some of my areas too. If not them it's was the developers before the housing crash:( My God. Some of my best areas are all roof tops now:mad:

Anyway, at this point, I say let the conservation dept. buy up all that property. At least it's producing birds that will move onto other lands we can hunt. I guess it's the lesser of two evils. (better than crops or roof tops)

The DNR shot around 70 to 80 deer (2010) off the property down the street from my house.:eek: I keep telling them to let us do it. We'll even pay them instead of the tax payers paying snipers hundreds of $'s per deer.

They let hunters on many of their sites which is nice. $400 bucks and you get a stand. Split it between 4 guys and it only runs $100. Not bad. Still working on the upland hunting though on county lands. Not looking good. That's a whole other story.:eek:

The county is starting to install very nice hedge rows back onto some of their ag land. Some of these areas are filled with birds. Weather and all else permitting, a few of these areas are going to have great bird #'s in the next 5 years or so.

I'm working on a gaining permission on a piece of land next to a huge county site (NE of you). The birds go back and forth between the county "habitat hub" and the small area on private land. Hope to God I can hunt it this fall!:cheers:

Last edited:
They've bought up some of my areas too. If not them it's was the developers before the housing crash:( My God. Some of my best areas are all roof tops now:mad:

Anyway, at this point, I say let the conservation dept. buy up all that property. At least it's producing birds that will move onto other lands we can hunt. I guess it's the lesser of two evils. (better than crops or roof tops)

The DNR shot around 70 to 80 deer (2010) off the property down the street from my house.:eek: I keep telling them to let us do it. We'll even pay them instead of the tax payers paying snipers hundreds of $'s per deer.

They let hunters on many of their sites which is nice. $400 bucks and you get a stand. Split it between 4 guys and it only runs $100. Not bad. Still working on the upland hunting though on county lands. Not looking good. That's a whole other story.:eek:

The county is starting to install very nice hedge rows back onto some of their ag land. Some of these areas are filled with birds. Weather and all else permitting, a few of these areas are going to have great bird #'s in the next 5 years or so.

I'm working on a gaining permission on a piece of land next to a huge county site (NE of you). The birds go back and forth between the county "habitat hub" and the small area on private land. Hope to God I can hunt it this fall!:cheers:

Some nice stuff up there off 14. Spent some time up at scout camp plumbing the poolhouse but couldn't get permission. I see "they" got that hunt club. Now that you mention it, I think my sister has some farm ground in that vicinity, will call right now.

Some nice stuff up there off 14. Spent some time up at scout camp plumbing the poolhouse but couldn't get permission. I see "they" got that hunt club. Now that you mention it, I think my sister has some farm ground in that vicinity, will call right now.

I'm guessing you're talking about Paulson? Yeah, there's some nice areas over there. The county bought a 200 acre grassland hub just south/west of there about 1/8 mile. That was one area you could drive by nice and slow in the mornings and evenings and watch wild rooster head in for the roost. Gorgeous darker colored wild birds.

A friend has permission to hunt the corn field near it. There's been some nice roosters taken out of there:thumbsup:

Anyway, the property was planted in oaks some time ago. In another few years it's going to be worthless to upland birds. The oaks are starting to take off:(

Back