Deer hunting for Pheasnt hunting

Have 80 acres( 67 in crp) in S E Iowa Van Buren County with great deer population looking to trade deer hunting opportunity for pheasant hunting opportunity

Looking for opening week, or early season. Usually plan my vacation around it. Not as much fun chasin tail in just plain lousy weather anymore for me. Make an average of 3 trips to Iowa

FYI Found dead 13 pointer December 2,2011. Called dnr got salvage tag, didn't find an entry wounds. Got call two weeks later from neighbor trapping and he found dead 9 pointer that was shot but not retrieved.

Hey R D,
Didn't have any offers for last season in Iowa, ended up going to South Dakota instead, my first time there. Paid for one of them fullpackage deals. Glad I did! Got my feet wet in a good way( not like someone else on this site that thinks s d isn't any better than Iowa).
Getting ready to replant crp this spring in cp4d, diversified blocks of tallgrass prairie, switchgrass plots, food plots, pollinator habitat and firebreaks.
What did you have in mind?

Hey R D,
Didn't have any offers for last season in Iowa, ended up going to South Dakota instead, my first time there. Paid for one of them fullpackage deals. Glad I did! Got my feet wet in a good way( not like someone else on this site that thinks s d isn't any better than Iowa).
Getting ready to replant crp this spring in cp4d, diversified blocks of tallgrass prairie, switchgrass plots, food plots, pollinator habitat and firebreaks.
What did you have in mind?

I dont really have anything to offer, as I live in NW Iowa, but hunt and fish exclusively in SD. I havent ever done a package deal, but opt to freestyle on my trips.... I wish I could help you out, but I have no resources to offer..

Surprised you don't pheasant hunt nw Iowa, from what I hear best part of the state(not that Iowa has had anything to brag about lately). We hunted private and public, did well on both. Going back to do our own thing this next time, having been there gave us a foundation to build on.

Surprised you don't pheasant hunt nw Iowa, from what I hear best part of the state(not that Iowa has had anything to brag about lately). We hunted private and public, did well on both. Going back to do our own thing this next time, having been there gave us a foundation to build on.

I have seen the good times in Iowa, and they aint now.. Pheasants or deer in the NW corner.

I am retiring soon, and decided 5 years ago to get started on my network of hunting opportunitiesin SD sooner, rather than wait till Im too old to put the necessary effort into it.

Good Forsight

Good for you, must have seen it coming. Are you going to retire in South Dakota?:thumbsup:

I hope to. My daughter lives on the Mn/SD border, just in MN, (recently married, dec 3rd).

My hopes are to be able to relocate somewhere along the I90 corridor, outside of Minnehaha County. Hartford, Humboldt, Dell Rapids, Garretson are all possiblilties. I already have ground and a cabin in Chamberlain, but Im positive I wont get the wife to relocate that far west. The first thing you need when you live in SD is dependable vehicles. I can drive anywhere to hunt and fish.

I dont really have anything to offer, as I live in NW Iowa, but hunt and fish exclusively in SD. I havent ever done a package deal, but opt to freestyle on my trips.... I wish I could help you out, but I have no resources to offer..

After viewing pictures from your post "I Love This State", I see why exclusively S D. Nice rack!:thumbsup: Somebody's no too happy your letting out your honey holes

I hope to. My daughter lives on the Mn/SD border, just in MN, (recently married, dec 3rd).

My hopes are to be able to relocate somewhere along the I90 corridor, outside of Minnehaha County. Hartford, Humboldt, Dell Rapids, Garretson are all possiblilties. I already have ground and a cabin in Chamberlain, but Im positive I wont get the wife to relocate that far west. The first thing you need when you live in SD is dependable vehicles. I can drive anywhere to hunt and fish.

I remember one trip to Iowa pheasant hunting bout 10 years back sitting in the motel, my hunting partner was on the phone with his wife. When he told her "Happy Anniversary", my jaw dropped. When he got off the phone, I told him I didn't feel right, sharing a motel room with him on his anniversary...and his wife was back home. I made a little mental note in my mind that I tell the younger guys that hunt, don't get married during hunting season and you'll never put yourself in the predicament of choosing between you wife or hunting. Does you son-in-law hunt?
You on the water?

Back