Deep Snow = Many Bunched Birds

BritChaser

The Happy Hunting Grounds were covered with 8" of powdery snow in KS, but it had not yet crusted over so we were able to slog through it. We were rewarded with some tight-holding pheasants in bunches. The quail practically had to be kicked out of the cover. A few pheasants were equally adamant about staying buried. The extra effort in trudging through the snow paid off.

Last edited:
Sorry, No Pics

Pics please, I would like to see the fun in the snow, wishing I was there!

I will have to be more of a shutterbug and take the camera along, especially now that I have a digital. Maybe I, a techno semi-Luddite, will even learn to upload pics to this site.

I hate snow, we have had to much of it around here. But if you like fine. Happy to hear you had successful shoot.......Bob

Man, that's great! You got to love days like that. I wasn't aware that Kansas had that much snow. I sure wish we'd get hit with 8 inches here in Colorado.

Had the same experience in eastern CO last Weds/Dec 9th right after that nasty winter storm...At 5 a.m. on our way en route from Denver it was 18 below zero...Upon arrival at the happy hunting grounds, there was about 6-8" of fresh powder on the ground with lots of drifting...We waited until the sun came up for a little bit & it reached a balmy -10 before hitting the 1st field in balaclava & ski goggles! :D

It was the absolute best day of pheasant hunting in my life just for the sheer pleasure of the dog working conditions!!! In fact, the conditions were almost too much of a good thing - the dogs had trouble even getting some of the birds up - the wily little devils were running back-and-forth underneath the snow in the hedgerows & tumbleweeds, ect. like a bunch of snug eskimos in an igloo & simply refused to come out...The dogs had to dig/root & crawl around underneath the snow & literally push em' out with their noses (my dog actually caught a hen & let her go when I commanded "Leave it" & she flew away unscathed)!...Imagine oodles of pheasants holding like quail everywhere we went all day long - what a hoot!!! Gonna be hard to top that one for a long, long time! :cheers:

That was my first long-awaited opportunity to go rooster-chasin in the snow & you can bet I'm prayin for more of the white stuff in Jan before season ends! The difference that it makes on all that wild-running & out-of-range flushing bizwax is literally night-&-day!

Back