Deep snow hunt

Nice! For me, the dog is over half the the reason to go out.
I was in Montana hunting the begining of this storm. Regardless of my excuses, i didnt get my lab (Cash) much time in on pre season training. The first 2 days he found plenty but wasnt keen on the retrieve (which was not typical for him)...on the 1st morning of the snow, i knocked down a double and one got back up, flew about 20 ft and then tried to run.. the chase was what was needed to get his brain to click back into "oh yeah...thats the fun part".... he was awesome the rest of the time... yeah...he's a bit spoiled..20201021_081214.jpg20201026_095758.jpg

Nice! For me, the dog is over half the the reason to go out.
I was in Montana hunting the begining of this storm. Regardless of my excuses, i didnt get my lab (Cash) much time in on pre season training. The first 2 days he found plenty but wasnt keen on the retrieve (which was not typical for him)...on the 1st morning of the snow, i knocked down a double and one got back up, flew about 20 ft and then tried to run.. the chase was what was needed to get his brain to click back into "oh yeah...thats the fun part".... he was awesome the rest of the time... yeah...he's a bit spoiled..View attachment 397View attachment 398
That dog looks exactly like mine.Mine has started to get some white on the face.The dog is the most important thing.I never put mine in a crate,

Great pics...

We dug some out of the cattails on Sunday, after it snowed a couple more inches overnight (maybe 6" on the ground), 10-15 degrees, and a normal ND wind of around 20MPH. Still, you can't shoot them sitting in the living room watching football, so out we went.

Early season semi-frozen cattail hunts are always dicey, keeping the dogs off the thin ice takes up more time than than actually just letting them hunt, and shots are limited to birds that won't fall on the ice. Still, that's were the birds are...

I usually go through at least once during these early thin ice hunts. Last year it was up to my neck rescuing my now retired Betty when she broke through crossing over a beaver run just outside the cattails. The ice was plenty solid to hold the dogs, leave it to my hard charging old kennel queen to find the one spot where it wasn't.

I knew darned well I would have to go through to get her out, the only question was how deep. Getting out was all the fun as the rest of the Wrecking Crew tried to get close to see what we were doing, while I had Betty hoisted on my shoulder and was trying to help her onto more solid ice. I won't repeat the language, but the air was pretty blue...

On Sunday I only went through up to my knees (wearing Muck Boots, I usually wear hip waders for these hunts, don't as me why I didn't this time). The rest of the day was not overly comfortable or warm...

Last edited:
Great pics...

We dug some out of the cattails on Sunday, after it snowed a couple more inches overnight (maybe 6" on the ground), 10-15 degrees, and a normal ND wind of around 20MPH. Still, you can't shoot them sitting in the living room watching football, so out we went.

Early season semi-frozen cattail hunts are always dicey, keeping the dogs off the thin ice takes up more time than than actually just letting them hunt, and shots are limited to birds that won't fall on the ice. Still, that's were the birds are...

I usually go through at least once during these early thin ice hunts. Last year it was up to my neck rescuing my now retired Betty when she broke through crossing over a beaver run just outside the cattails. The ice was plenty solid to hold the dogs, leave it to my hard charging kennel queen to find the one spot where it wasn't.

I knew darned well I would have to go through to get her out, the only question was how deep. Getting out was all the fun as the rest of the Wrecking Crew tried to get close to see what we were doing, while I had Betty hoisted on my shoulder and was trying to help her onto more solid ice. I won't repeat the language, but the air was pretty blue...

On Sunday I only went through up to my knees (wearing Muck Boots, I usually wear hip waders for these hunts, don't as me why I didn't this time). The rest of the day was not overly comfortabl I can relate to that, one time I fell through, it was chest deep, and 10 below.Late December. I wasn't trying to save my dog, but I would die to do that.Luckily, I was only 15 minutes from my bronco.Ice can be sketchy, and I recommend extreme caution in Montana.

Attachments

• 20201027_160325.jpg
    20201027_160325.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 36
Gawd Nuge, gives me the shakes just looking at it...

That dog looks exactly like mine.Mine has started to get some white on the face.The dog is the most important thing.I never put mine in a crate,
I completely get the dog is the most important thing and it is fun having them ride in the cab with you and spending time together. But I am going to mention the complete opposite take, the dog is the most important thing so they spend the entire time the vehicle is moving in the the crate. What if I have to slam on the breaks, or get in an accident and my dog now becomes a 40-80lb flying projectile out of the vehicle or threw the window, or into my head, or something? Instead in a strapped down crate, they are confined and protected within that area and the furthest they are moving is a few inches into the wall of the crate. Nothing wrong with either take and not trying to bash yours or be controversial, just pointing out the other side of it too.

That's a good point, and I've thought of that.My dog, is the family pet, and they have always ridden inside.Im not criticizing people who use them, just not my thing.

That's a good point, and I've thought of that.My dog, is the family pet, and they have always ridden inside.Im not criticizing people who use them, just not my thing.
My family pet too, I'm not going to drive a car without my kids strapped into their carseats. I'm not going to drive my vehicle without my dog strapped into his crate (his version of a carseat). Again, nothing wrong with either and I'm slightly jealous of the people that have their dog riding with them.

Back