Deep snow? hard to get through and to the birds?

onpoint

Just a idea but you may want to check out getting a pair of the new light weight Alum. framed snowshoes. They have some that are smaller then the old style large wood ones. As long as it isn't way too thick of brush. I would think you jest may be able to get into where others will not go. I got a report from south central South Dakota. They said the snow is waste deep in many places in the shelter belt/tree's. They had a heck of a time. The wind blew it all in there.

Here's a example
modern-snowshoe.jpg

Snowshoes Great Idea for Crusted or Heavy Snow

Just a idea but you may want to check out getting a pair of the new light weight Alum. framed snowshoes. They have some that are smaller then the old style large wood ones. As long as it isn't way too thick of brush. I would think you jest may be able to get into where others will not go. I got a report from south central South Dakota. They said the snow is waste deep in many places in the shelter belt/tree's. They had a heck of a time. The wind blew it all in there.

Here's a example
modern-snowshoe.jpg

Thanks for reminding us that there are snowshoes and they would be great for hunting on crusted or heavy snow.

You may want to consider a style such as the "Ojibway" shoes. They have a pointed toe and are designed to go thru bush, grass, and cattails. I have wore mine many, many, times while pushing thru cattail sloughs. The problem with the Technical shoes is you almost have to have a path or trail to follow or all you do is flounder. I speak from expirience.

I got a pair from a guy up in canada, he makes them with spring steel for the hoop and some kinda nylon for binding, they work great. small and light weight. The steel hoop is wraped in rubber. Newfoundland is where he is from, I saw them on a CBC show

Last edited:
Ah yes the snowshoes. I tried these last year. Needless to say I have not tried them again. Nothing was better than trying to step back to get a proper swing on a flying rooster with those %$#$% snowshoes on.

Anytime we have about 10 inches or more on the ground I always will be wearing snow shoes. Once you get used to em they work find for going through thick cover.

IMG_0925-1.jpg

Anytime we have about 10 inches or more on the ground I always will be wearing snow shoes. Once you get used to em they work find for going through thick cover.

I guess you northern boys probably have more experience with these things. My probable was pivoting on the bird. I always pivot on birds keeping my right side stationary (gun side.) In a former life I did some work as a handgun instructor were you are trained to keep the strong side foot planted on pivots. So if I ever pivoted to my left side I would try to step back with my left foot. Stepping back does not work with snowshoes.

I guess you northern boys probably have more experience with these things. My probable was pivoting on the bird. I always pivot on birds keeping my right side stationary (gun side.) In a former life I did some work as a handgun instructor were you are trained to keep the strong side foot planted on pivots. So if I ever pivoted to my left side I would try to step back with my left foot. Stepping back does not work with snowshoes.

Ohh your definetly right that it can be a problem. I've shot a couple pheasants well sitting flat on my as$ because I fell trying to swing around to fast. :) It takes some getting used to for sure and you will probably miss some birds cause of them but if it gets me farther in to where the birds are especially in southern Wi where birds are scarse to begin with I think it makes up for it. Being a Ruffed grouse hunter pivoting a foot isn't always an option anyways.

Pheasants are easy, normally you have some time to compose your shot before the bird is gone. Ruffs are a different story. Never had much look chasing them with shoes on.

I've not had a problem using a quite large pair of wooden alaskans, even in brush, but then I've shoed many, many miles in my years and it comes pretty natural to me now. The few times I've tried much smaller aluminum deck shoes the snow conditions have been such that I wondered what if any good they were doing me at times. Give me the old style if the snow is deep and fluffy any day!

Back