December young birds

Huede

This has to be the shortest tail feathers for a bird in December that I have taken, fully colored though.
The bird in the bag had a few light colored spots. I should have took a pic of it. The tail feathers are less than 6 inches. My wife thinks their cute! I wonder when they hatched?

Attachments

• 20221211_152118.jpg
    20221211_152118.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 48
  • 20221211_151824.jpg
    20221211_151824.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 48
This has to be the shortest tail feathers for a bird in December that I have taken, fully colored though.
The bird in the bag had a few light colored spots. I should have took a pic of it. The tail feathers are less than 6 inches. My wife thinks their cute! I wonder when they hatched?
If I remember right it takes them 13 weeks to fully feather out

Shot one Saturday in ND even smaller, only partly colored up, little nubs for spurs. Should've got a pic.

Also in Alberta in mid September this year, was hunting huns and put up a hen pheasant with a brood of sparrow-sized chicks that must've been 3 weeks old if that. My dog caught one of the poor little guys, they could only flutter about 5 feet. He dropped it when i yelled at him, don't know if it made it.

My guess is, with the summer like weather we had up north that ran into late October, a late nesting hen might have pulled off a successful brood in September, whereas in a normal year those chick's would get killed by frosts or lack of food.

Last edited:
Back