David S from MN

davids

Hi. My name is David and my sons, black lab and quarter horse and I live outside of Minneapolis. Hunted for pheasants for the first time at 52...got my first dog and 53 and have spent 2 seasons in the field together. Getting ready for our third. Can wait. I shoot with a Beretta and a Canon camera. Put together an album of photos taken over the past 2 season. On my profile.
Glad to be here.

IMG_3010copy3.jpg

IMG_6263Cropcopy.jpg

IMG_6168copy.jpg

IMG_8275.jpg

Last edited:
David, Welcome to UPH!!! Great photo's and some dandy country!! Got some great advice from some gents on my photo's. Put them in photo bucket and then hit the direct link and then copy, then come back to your post and hit the icon with the mountain and then hit paste. The photo will then appear without having to click on it!!!!! :cheers:

OH, and by the way, very nice Gallery!!:10sign::coolpics:

Welcome to uph David.:coolpics:

Appreciate the welcome! Also appreciate the advice on adding photos to posts. I went back and tossed a few in. Again, thanks.

David

I enjoyed your post on many levels. First, I'm so glad you enjoy this sport and that someone helped you get started. Many times the only folks that are pheasant hunting have done it since they were kids....it's just great.

Second, those pictures are incredible. One of these days I'll be able to leave my gun in my truck and only take my camera. Thanks for sharing your pics and please keep them coming.

Finally, I see you've already introduced another generation to this wonderful tradition and since there is a dog, a bird, and a boy in the same pic, I KNOW he's addicted for life. Don't forget, he probably has some friends that could use some exposure to if you can tolerate new people being around.

Welcome to the site Sir! You won't find a better bunch of guys on ANY forum:cheers:

Welcome to UPH, good pictures, drop by often and tells of your hunts........Bob

Again, appreciate the welcome and the kind words about the photos. And, yes, there are some young guys I've introduced to pheasant hunting. My two boys.

Not sure how many of you have faced this situation, but when I took my boys out for the first time (after racking up several hours of instruction and time at an area skeet club) I figured their reaction to hunting could have gone either way. And I was prepared for the worst. I was also prepared not to let a negative reaction on their part deter me from hunting as often as I could.

I was confident my youngest was going to love hunting. He's my fly fishing partner and love most things that are outdoors. My oldest can be another story. Mr. Outdoors he isn't.

So, we headed out to experience our first hunt together. Long story short, the boys loved every minute of it. There were high fives on hits. Wisecracks on misses. And at the end of the day there were hugs all around.

While driving home I fully expected the boys to talk about the shooting they had done and the birds they had taken that day. Instead, they spent the 90 minute drive home reviewing the photos I'd taken just a short time before. And instead of talking about knocking down birds - they talked about Griz, our lab, and what a treat it was to watch him do what he loves to do.

The experience with Griz elevated the little guy in their minds from being the best companion the three of us could ever have - to being the best companion and hunting dog we could have ever hoped for. They were amazed at his drive and how he worked tirelessly in the field. It was almost like Griz knew what this day was all about and he was determined to make it a great one for all of us.

Thank goodness none of us really believe our dogs could even remotely think of doing such things.

Yes, I have companions for life. And those companions are anxious for October to roll around as so many of us are.

David

Here are my boys...and, of course, Griz. And there's one of my oldest and Griz walking from the field at the end of our first time out together. Damn it was cold that day. But couldn't all hunt together until he came back from college for winter break.

IMG_3035copyb.jpg

IMG_6284copyb.jpg

IMG_3016copy2b.jpg

Yes Sir, the relationship with your dog is the best part about pheasant hunting. People always assume I spend a bunch of time hunting deer b/c they only know I'm gone hunting. I tell them that if I could find a way to hunt deer with my bird dogs, I'd do it. Until then, I couldn't care less about sitting in a field for 6hrs by myself waiting for a damn deer to come out.

Being there with the dogs is what it is all about. My 2 boys are more interested in the dogs than they are the birds that are harvested.....I've only known 1 die-hard pheasant hunter that doesn't have a dog to share it with....he just so happens to be a member of this site too.

I hope you, the boys, and Griz have a great season:thumbsup:

Welcome to the site, thanks for sharing the pics.:coolpics: hope to see you on this site often.:)

Dang nice pictures.:thumbsup:
Welcome mto the site.

Back