Dam,it's Hot!!

carpfisher

Finished Day 1 of the annual SD trip.
We hunting PL the 1st couple of days, then moving to the U-Guide Boar's Nest TH-SAT.
We are in the Platte , SD vic and is is much drier than last year. A slough we hunted last yr has 10" of water is bone dry this year. We arrived and started ~1500 on MOnday. We saw probably 50-60 birds but almost all busted to far out. Everything is crunchy loud and it was in the 70F range.
We did get to shoot at 2 Roosters. I missed, 1 harvested.
Heading back out shortly Supposed to be 71F and windy today. Wish us luck! BTW thw Setter is 12 years old!!

Day%201.jpg

Yeah, it's too hot man. Indian summer. Good for wildlife, not so good for us or our dogs.

Nick

Today was 70 but windy so Tolerable. Although I did get a nice improvement on my tan.
These are my 2, ( well,his 2!). My buddy also got 2.

a>

Last edited:
D2 at Boar's nest,(D5 of the trip

Mediocre bird count for today. One of te Jr.'s got his 1st wild bird today.
Sunny, 45F and windy. Pedometer called out 17,000 steps. (about 8.5 miles) of walking

IMG_1126.jpg
[/URL][/IMG][/IMG]

I don't know how many hunters you had at Boars nest, but those look like some EXPENSIVE birds right there? Wow, I thought Uguide's propertys were loaded with birds. Did you see a lot, and they were just wild?

We saw a pretty good amount of birds. Lots of wild flushes on the windless days.
The property we hunted is well managed for birds but it is stil fair chase. There isn't a big ass net over the field to keep them in.

One of the fields we hunted didn't produce very well on a warm afternoon, and the next day, one of the property manager's bud's called and said they were cackling all over the place the next morning. A classic "should been here yesterday" type scenario.
We not sure if we are going back to Uguide yet for next year. A couple of this years crew have back out for next year for various reason so we don't have a camp minimum yet to make the Early Bird 1st right of Refusal.
Overal a good hunt, good support from the Host, Lodge is nice, good properties, just need more peoiple for next year.

Back