CRP Meetings

safari

Did anyone attend any ot the meetings? Any feedback?

I sent my comment in and encouraged everyone I know who has an interest in hunting and conservation to do the same. The only meeting which I received some second hand reports was the one in Manhattan Kansas. Comments were overwhelmingly in support of continued, wildlife friendly CRP program. Of 25 speakers only 1 was not in support of continuing the program.

Now WHAT all of this means remains to be seen.

Safari, I did not attend a meeting because of distance but did send in a lengthy response via email which should count equal in grand scheme of things. I cc'd Dave Nomson and my local PF Biologist.

Oct. 19th is the cuttoff so I assume something will be done with analysis and reporting and hopefully ACTION!!

We are going to be losing a lot of CRP here in Colorado as the US Dept. of Agriculture leases are expiring. Not sure how much of it will return to cropland and to what extent but it's pretty dissapointing as some of these leases are more than a decade old and have become mainstay pheasant habitat.

Comments

I added my comments on the CRP Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement.

I will provide my friends here on Ultimate Pheasant Hunting an edited copy of those comments:

"My family has seen many changes on this prairie we call home, some good and some bad. The original 480 acres of the Ford County, Kansas, farm was purchased by my grandmother in 1905. My late father was born in 1912 in the house that I still occupy. My mother was born in the Red Rock Canyon in Oklahoma in 1915 and came to Kansas in a covered wagon at the age of four. She married my father at age sixteen in 1932 and spent most of her years on this farm. My oldest brother was born in the same room of the house in 1934. The family did spend six years in California during part of the dirty thirties where my father worked on his uncleâ??s ranch. His uncle, a KU civil engineering graduate, was the county engineer for Kern County, California. During his time there, my father, learned from his uncle about terraces and when the family returned to the Kansas farm in 1940 my father started building something unknown to the farmers of the area, contour terraces. My father used a one-way plow to construct those terraces. In 1947 my father had an irrigation well drilled. That well is still in use today, although the casing and pump works are in need of replacement.

Over the years my father added 400 acres in three purchases all adjacent to existing land. The first purchase was 160 acres up the hill from our bottom irrigated land that was not terraced and tenant farmed clean with a one-way plow. Over the years the poor hillside soils were deposited on our prime bottom soils. My father terraced that land upon purchase, but the slopes are so steep that some terraces are sixty foot apart. Another 80 acre purchase was across a large draw in our pasture and had quite a bit of poor soil. Over the years my father returned about half of the cropped acres to grass. The last 160 acres purchased had been farmed by the same tenant as the first purchase and had suffered a lot of erosion. My father terraced areas of it and developed enough acres in the center for an irrigation well and short center pivot system. It originally was a water drive system and he decided he could develop a second pivot point on the original farm and would move the system from one pivot point to another. After tiring of moving the system back and forth, he purchased an additional system, but continued to operate with one well. There is not sufficient water to operate the systems simultaneously, so one system or the other is used. It has pretty much been a requirement to crop in such a way that there was not need for water at the same time on the circles.

My father retired from the farming operation and leased the land to a farm tenant that had it either six or seven years before he took bankruptcy. The tenant that followed took bankruptcy one year into a two year lease. In the spring of 1986 my father was back farming again with no machinery and way behind the eight ball. I stepped in to do what I could to help. In later years another brother stepped in to help also. After the farm program of the 1985 farm bill, my father tried to enroll in the CRP program, but only small parts of the land would qualify under the soil loss criteria since the land was all terraced. All the dryland acres should be in grass because of the steep slopes and much light soils even though it was terraced. A year or so later all the dryland was accepted and my father enrolled it in the CRP program. Grass is the best use for this land and I hope that it never sees the plow again. A brother took care of the land for a few years and after my fatherâ??s death in January 1995, it fell back on me to help my mother operate the land. In 1986 when the land came back into my fatherâ??s control, it was a barren waste land as far as wildlife was concerned. During the years I helped until my brother stepped in 1988 I learned all I could about wildlife and farm and developed habitat to benefit the upland birds of pheasant, bobwhite quail and lesser prairie chicken. The birds responded very favorably to the habitat improvements. My young sons helped with this work and developed a lifelong interest in the outdoors and wildlife. We treated our wildlife work much as one would treat a vegetable garden in that we take good care of it, protect it from invasion and if it produces a bounty, then we harvest some, being mindful that we must leave seed stock for the following year and then do it all over again. The farm is all upland soils and not the typical sand/sage lands that the lesser prairie chicken are know to inhabit, but we know from Indian artifacts found on the property that there are historic leks that the lesser prairie chicken likely used for centuries prior to the lands being developed for farming. I have a huge interest in providing habitat for the lesser prairie chicken and have learned all I could including attending numerous â??Ranch Conservationsâ?� over the years that addressed habitat issues for the lesser prairie chicken.

Today the farm(880 acres deeded, about 900 acres measured) is rough divided into thirds, 300 acres short grass prairie, 300 acres CRP(including 7 acres of trees planted in 2000) and 300 acres irrigated(250 center pivot sprinkler and 50 acres flood).

(Continued on next post due to length)

Today the farm produces a bounty of wildlife including: whitetail deer, mule deer, elk, pheasant, bobwhite quail, lesser prairie chicken and wild turkey. I am most excited about what continues to be a bright future for the lesser prairie chicken at the farm. This year, for the first time in my lifetime, the lesser prairie chicken returned to a historic lek that ironically is along a ridge in the irrigated circle that I tried to enroll in the CREP For The Upper Arkansas River, but was denied even a chance to apply. That program is designed to retire water rights in the rapidly depleting Ogallala aquifer. When I received information on the program I was excited as it is in the spirit of my water conservation efforts, but when I inquired about enrollment was told that I did not qualify because of my water conservation efforts I did not use enough water. I appealed to those in Washington and Topeka, but have found that certain unnamed legislators in both the capitol and the statehouse are not in favor of the program, so my plea was in vain. I was also told at a farm information meeting by a federal employee, “We are not interested in you, we want the big boys.” This was at a time when corn prices were at their highs and for some reason it was thought that the large irrigation farmers would be willing to forever surrender their water rights.

See link for a good summary of the program:
http://scc.ks.gov/images/stories/pdf/crep_ fy08_ 09_leg_report.pdf

This program relied on historic pumping data as a barometer of future potential water use, which in my opinion is flawed. You will notice from the report that there was a huge interest in Kearny County, but this is because those wells were playing out and the farmers were afraid of the well’s useful lifetime, even though the past historic water use qualified the lands. I have plenty of water in my well, but because I have conserved for various reasons I cannot even apply. Every year I have young aggressive farmers wanting to lease my irrigation and believe me, if I lease it to one of them, the water use will approach maximum allowed under my water permit. Susan Stover, at the Kansas Water Office, wanted to require a pump test to determine water potential, but that was denied by the Kansas legislature. I offered to do a pump test on my well for the center pivots to prove I have water to “sell” to the CREP program, but that was not allowed. My 1947 would not qualify under a pump test, but not because of a limited water supply, but the limitation of the original casing and pump works.

My conclusion is that few care about the aquifer, even though people are intelligent to know that the Ogallala is being depleted at an alarming rate. It is a shame that some in their lifetime will see their only source of water, the ground water, go dry. As was said a few years back, “It’s the economy stupid.” Too many are worried about the economy of today that they will rob our children and grandchildren of suitable ground water to maintain life on the prairies over the Ogallala. I told my sons, “You have the benefit of more wildlife in all forms than I had as a child, except waterfowl and fishing since the Arkansas River and Mulberry Creek have been drained by water overuse.” My sons did see a few years of water in the river and saw how the prairies blossomed with stream flow, only to see it go dry again.

Unfortunately, I too have to make economic decisions about my farm operation. I too, have debt service. If my ground water conservation efforts would assure that my children and grandchildren would have water for their domestic use along with windmills for livestock use, I would continue to conserve ground water. I have concluded that the aquifer will go dry with or without my conservation, therefore, I will this winter discuss with potential land tenants improvements to my center pivot systems and moving over and drilling a new well, as permitted, to replace the 1947 well and pump works, which will provide more income to retire debt on the property. That is not my desire, but after beating my head against a brick wall, it appears to be the reasonable decision. I really don’t have the heart to pump to the maximum, so will likely lease to a tenant so the “blood will be on his hands.” Sorry so cynical, but when I try to do the best for the land and our resources only to get kicked in the teeth, I become embittered.

In conclusion:

The prairies in my area and over most of the Ogallala aquifer are best served by grass. The grass reduces water and wind erosion providing cleaner water, less silt flowing down stream and improved air quality. It would be a shame to reduce the number of grass acres and it would be beneficial to maintain or increase the acres in grass through the CRP program. The grass and an intermix of forbs and legumes provide good habitat for wildlife, including the lesser prairie chicken which is a candidate for the endangered species list. Provide some flexibility on qualification of lands, so that land like mine that was originally declined could be reviewed with a common sense approach as to what is best for the land, the environment and the wildlife. I see the lesser prairie chicken as a good barometer of the health of the prairie. Increase the maximum permitted acres in the General Signup to 40 million acres.

Water conservation of ground water in the Ogallala aquifer through programs such as the CREP For The Upper Arkansas River, should be expanded rapidly. A common sense approach to qualification of a water right for inclusion in the program should be used so that farm operators like myself that have valuable water for the program and are in the spirit of bettering the overall environment would be able to be included rather than excluded due to rules that do not necessarily reflect that which is true. Increase the acres in the CREP programs above the 2.0 million acres. Provide cost share to control invasive plants like the salt cedar in the stream beds to start or increase stream flow.

Last edited:
I know how you feel M.R. BYRD, seams like around here the farmers that are the hardest on the land have the easiest time of getting into gov. programs. The ones that have been responsible and practice sound conservation seam to be of little interest.

I did have a water expert on the farm today and he stated, concerning the irrigation and other uses of the Ogallala aquifer, "It is a mining operation." Oh so true, I think I will start referring to it as the "Ogallala Water Mine".

M.R.BYRD I am afraid that some day your "water mine" will blow up like a land mine and will be no more, if more people don't try to conserve as you do.

Win97
The Ground Water Management District says that the natural recharge of the aquifer is less than an inch a year. I know of a man that his father drilled an irrigation well in 1948(a year after my father's first well) and the water table has dropped eighty feet. That well was west of here about a hundred miles. My water has not dropped that much. The other issue is the overall quality of the water is going down.

I think the legacy that will be left is a very poor one.

I appreciate your comments.

I sent a copy of my letter to several people in conservation and government. Yesterday I received a letter back from S am Brown back, that basically said, "blah, blah, blah", with no real acknowledgement of what I really said to him. To date, I have found no one in power that wants to really address problems with our ground water future. Sad state of affairs. The old train is steaming down the tracks with everyone on board having a party and thinking all is well, but there is a bridge out ahead and there will be a crash, just don't know the exact day.

CRP and Aquifer

Your information is right on. I have been working on this issue, you may want to add that the current estimates to re-charge the aquifer are from 100 to 1000 years.

Tell me more. I would guess the recharge you are speaking would be with zero water withdrawn from the aquifer. Correct?

Aquifer

I have been working in the Western Kansas (Scott City, Weskan) area for the past couple of years and have written and addressed the water issues with regards to crop insurance. I cannot answer for the my agency, I can only give you my opinion as a orange hat hunter. Ethics, if you know what I mean.

I have been told by farmers and locals that without any more water usage to re-charge the aquifer would take at least 100 years. More towns are starting to see poor water quality and its taking 4-5 wells to operate one pivot. Ending irrigation is a sore subject, however; I'm a firm believer that CRP can mitigate the losses incurred by the loss of crop production. CRP has other uses e g., bio-mass, prevents soil erosion, and feed value. It also will bring the small towns some additional revenue from us orange hats. The bottom line is, its not going to get better, only worse with time. I'm glad to see there are others that can see the future and know what is happening. I have a few more years and a few more memo to write, hopefully, those responsible can get something done, other than drink coffee. Happy Hunting

Back