CRP May Be Hayed or Grazed

Curious as to what part of Kansas. I thought you hunted alot in my area but I may be wrong. Anyway, we have not had any snow to speak of here for the last 3 years. Last year we had any significant snow was 2017.
Ness was 2 years ago and liberal was last year. We got the one ness got in Wichita but not as much. We might of got it last year too I don’t know I was in South Dakota

Ness was 2 years ago and liberal was last year. We got the one ness got in Wichita but not as much. We might of got it last year too I don’t know I was in South Dakota
Looking back through some pictures it was 18 wichita got snow, I guess I could be combining 2 stories 2or 3 years ago the guy in ness told me the coyotes got to them, I really think he told me that in 19 cause I had an 18 pickup and a dog with me that was born in 18 the year it snowed early in Wichita and it was pretty good hunting that winter. Last year after he had been out opening weekend Mark in liberal said the coyotes got to them and he blamed it on snow the third week in oct.

Last edited:
I would say you probably need to find a new source. 90% of my hunting is in Ness county. I live in Rush.

I would say you probably need to find a new source. 90% of my hunting is in Ness county. I live in Rush.
Well he across the road and farms for us. Like I said I may have combined two stories about snow. The point was you take away to much cover and you’re gonna have increased predation. Whether it’s turned over, hay , grazed ,or do to weather

Well he across the road and farms for us. Like I said I may have combined two stories about snow. The point was you take away to much cover and you’re gonna have increased predation. Whether it’s turned over, hay , grazed ,or do to weather
Agreed but the only problem with weather has been being to wet. Not snow or drought.

Kansas' biggest problem, now, is all the CRP contracts that have expired and emergency haying.
it will be really evident next season. they lost over a million acres over past year.
i won't be back.

Was not a rough year in Kansas at all. I don't know why we have to spread disinformation like this. Kansas has been blessed with another rain filled year. Has been wet for 3 year in a row now for most of Kansas, which has hurt pheasant numbers. At one time in June and July, the drought map was completely white.
Interesting. I guess I'll find out here in a few weeks.

This. We had good moisture throughout the summer. It’s been a little dry in my part of SEK here to start the fall, but nothing out of the ordinary for Kansas. We were very much spared the drought that afflicted states to the north of us.
This was in West Kansas. But I'll find out here on a few weeks I guess. Its just what I was told.

Drove by a WIHA just north of Greensburg today that has been grass for as long as I can remember. Nice WIHA signs still there along with scalped ground and rows of haybales.

We had rain when we needed it for haying. By the time it got dry the hay was already put up. My hay was probably in the top 3-4 hay seasons since I’ve had the ground-30 years now. I had a lot of hay this year and had it been baled 2 weeks earlier we coulda baled it again before fall. NE Kansas here.

I drove by this field in September. Wasn’t baled then.
Not sure why one would wait until September to put up native. I’ve had to wait until then but only due to weather or break downs. Other than that it’s up by mid July but no sooner.

Looked like it was baled very recently.
Yes - if they are doing that likely going to rip it out - I'm not an ag producer but lived next door to my grandparents small hay operation - he did his and all the neighors in our area - Native/Prairie hay is going to lose it's nutritional value I believe if you hit it too late I believe. You'll probably see row crop there next year - Greensburg/Haviland area used to be amazing for birds - still can be good but good luck finding a spot that's not leased for stupid deer with a damn shooting house on the top of every sand hill now - most of the wiha is gone too. Anyways - it's really a crying shame how much that area has changed especially around Haviland -- had a farmer that would give me a "season" pass during college so I could hunt whenever -- complete with his landowner map and all - God I appreciated that man and his wife more than they knew -- some darn amazing days of pheasant and quail hunting 2000-2003 until I graduated and moved to Garden City. Went back years later and some punk college aged outfitter had leased all the land and did put/take hunts and mainly deer -- I do believe the Patriarch of the family passed away and to top it off their countless crp corners on irrigated land were ripped out and put to wheat. What a drastic change in such a short time. Much of Greensburg area has followed that path save for the sandhills pastures they absolutely can not and will not farm.

Not sure why one would wait until September to put up native. I’ve had to wait until then but only due to weather or break downs. Other than that it’s up by mid July but no sooner.
We have a lot of fun with Jet -- went opening day and he hunted most of the day - I didnt get to go out with him as much as I'd have liked last year due to circumstances out of my control - but this year our days afield should increase. Have 80 acres now where we live for him to run on with the other dog -- just had him out tonight and he's such a goofball - Our word for him is loveable dimwit -- or stupid smart...ha, figures out some things and does well - others like a kid on too much sugar and can't focus to save his life and not paying attention - He likes grabbing stuffed toys or my wife's old slippers and hiding them in the yard then refinding them -- heck opening day he grabbed one of them and popped into the dog box with it. I'm pretty sure he can run all day without a break.

We hunted that area back in early 2000s. Amazing how different it looks now. Edwards up towards Lewis and Larned does Not even resemble what it did. I guess it isn’t ever coming back.

We hunted that area back in early 2000s. Amazing how different it looks now. Edwards up towards Lewis and Larned does Not even resemble what it did. I guess it isn’t ever coming back.
Probably not - when they run out of water things will change - that may happen in our lifetimes (Im nearly 42) - I dont think anyone would believe what it was like a short 20 yrs ago. 08 or so it started changing around there. No one would believe the quality of the WIHA either. I've come to the conclusion if I want quality upland hunting in KS I will have to buy a 5-20k acre ranch or so and develop it myself or just move to the desert southwest and chase quail. The latter sounds more appealing with better weather - I can make the former happen but not sure if I want to bust my ass that hard and not be around many decades to enjoy it. Never thought as a Kansan I'd be thinking other states could sound more appealing for bird hunting - hell in KS I have to travel just as far or close to as far from where I live now to get into decent bird country - may as well drive 3-4 more hours another direction out of state for a change of scenery and less traffic.

Last edited:
We had 2 WIHA there. One still there and one gone. Killed limits out of those two fields in 2004 and 2005. Hit the one that is still there on Saturday. Looks like it did back in the day. And still holds birds.

Back