CRP in the news

Daisybuck

Saw this in the paper. Made for a kind of bleak morning read.

http://www.startribune.com/local/134566683.html?page=1&c=y

Can't seem to get the link, so cut and paste or check it out. For those of you out there who own land and are struggling with these same questions or have opted for CRP, thank you. For those who are farming it, I have a better understanding of the choices you face and respect you for that.

In my area of the world. I like the idea of less CRP we have plenty of Low land - Good nesting area or places that will not or can not be farmed. (lots of lakes - ponds - rivers - pastures - hay ground)The birds need a food source. I think a No-Till incentive would be more beneficial than anything.

Golden -- can you elaborate on ``no-till?'' Sorry if that seems like a dumb question but folks around here seem to be pretty patient with us slower folk...

they don't till there lands in the fall are replant in the spring without turning the soil.
In MN they like the black dirt to warm the ground so they can plant sooner and help dry out the fields.

In my area of the world. I like the idea of less CRP we have plenty of Low land - Good nesting area or places that will not or can not be farmed. (lots of lakes - ponds - rivers - pastures - hay ground)The birds need a food source. I think a No-Till incentive would be more beneficial than anything.

??? Look back at the history of pheasant hunting. The highest bird numbers were during the periods of set aside land. Losing CRP is BAD for pheasants.

Nothing like some good grassland in and around the marshy/brushy stuff.
A good grassland is a good source for upland bird feeding. Insects, weed and grass seed and all types of greens. Much better for pheasants then cropland.
However some grain around late summer and fall is good.
No till will keep the food source until heavy snow.

The loss of CRP is directly related to corn ethanol.

mnmt: I thought ethanol was dead and buried. A boondoggle that used more fossil fuel to make than it saved. Don't know, but that's what I have heard.

Golden, thanks: looks like most of what I have seen today was all tilled up nice and chunky. Last year where I hunted we saw a ton of stuff left stubbed off with some feed remaining. Guess where I got my birds?

mnmt: I thought ethanol was dead and buried. A boondoggle that used more fossil fuel to make than it saved. Don't know, but that's what I have heard.

Golden, thanks: looks like most of what I have seen today was all tilled up nice and chunky. Last year where I hunted we saw a ton of stuff left stubbed off with some feed remaining. Guess where I got my birds?

Db, ethanol is alive and going strong. 10% of unleaded gasoline by law is ethanol. New plants have slowed down but talk of 15% is going to get construction going. Some 1/3 of US corn goes into ethanol.

Boondoggle for sure, what we expect when the gov is involved.:(

Whatever happened to the thought of using switch grass for ethanol? I thought that was where ethanol production was headed because of costs to manufacture. :confused:

Ever get the feeling that you are in the audience of a magic show where they are waving a pretty handkerchief over here while they are picking your pocket over there?

I don't think anyone ever did anything with switchgrass after the State of the Union speech.

Back