CRP Cropping History Update

UGUIDE

Guys, I checked with our local PF Biologist on status of proposal to chnage cropping history eligibility years for CRP from 1996-2001 to 2002-2007.

As you may recall there was an EIS or environmental impact study done which put this on hold. I am told that the EIS was done and new years were approaved as AOK. Now the problem is getting the changes deployed to FSA offices. Sounds like a lot of red tape involving filling key positions that need to be filled to make these decisions happen. New administration timing isn't helping either.

Another issue is that I guess CRP is currently capped at 32 million acres and I believe we are at that level according to PF. The question now is whether as much CRP as originally thought was expiring will or will not be re-enrolled.

I suppose sportsmen can be happy that current cap is met. What future holds is uncertain. Low commoditiy prices and higher rental rates is making CRP a viable option again for farmers. I know my landowner partners are showing more interest in enrolling portions of their acres in CRP where it makes sense.

PF suggested contacting our senators to help get new rules implemented on CRP.

The cap was lowered to 32 million acres in the 2008 farm bill, I believe that is 4-5 million less than the 2002 farm bill. Back in 2007, KS was set to expire a large portion of its acres enrolled in CRP. They gave everyone extenstions, the extension were between 2 and 5 years and some recieved new 10 contracts. Most of the extensions out here are ready to expire and most won't be reenrolled, not by landowner choice. They are starting to promote CCRP out here, which we couldn't have before due to being over the 25% max on crop acres. I've heard there will be no new general signup until 2010 at the earliest. I think we will get more bang for the buck on the CCRP, if landowners will be willing to enroll small parcels of land instead of large blocks.

I don't see the General signup coming back anytime soon. I thin the CCRP's are a better use of taxpayer money for conservation and does a better job of "farm the best buffer the rest" strategy.

Just talked to FSA office today and they said they are capped on SAFE acres (cp-38) and may get more if other states do not enroll more as national acres could be reallocated to toher states that want it.

One possible negative effect here in Kansas, may be the reluctance of farmers to put acres into our Walk In Hunting Program. With whole field CRP, the WIHA payment provided a little extra income and the hunters didn't not interfere with the farming operation, since there was none. Now with strips and buffers along crop fields, there would not be the overall number of acres typically going into WIHA and likely fewer participants.

Back