Crowing counts

What’s your crow count procedure? I do whistle counts for quail in early morning hours listening for male calls. Just curious!

Quite a variation between areas in the state…
Yep, but as expected. The NE was down the most , but that is marginal habitat and the counts are so low to not be statistically relevant , meaning absolutely nothing for there. The rather disappointing counts were in the SE, was hopeing for more as that area is closely related to the numbers in NE SD. Was thinking SD #'s would be up this year, but with no road survey who knows. The SW got hit by the drought really hard, face it in good years it is really dry there, so marginal production last year equals lower numbers this spring. Given good conditions they can have a good hatch and that is the best habitat in the state. The relative bright spot sort of is the NW which didn't lose many of their remaining birds to the spring blizzards. Of course their numbers have tanked the last few years so they are already at a relatively low level from the past. It's up to the weather now.

What’s your crow count procedure? I do whistle counts for quail in early morning hours listening for male calls. Just curious!
Check the ND dept of fish and game they explain it really well. It basically tells how many birds survived the winter, doesn't really tell how the numbers will be in the fall, but it is one column in my spreadsheet as to where to go this fall.

Back