Crop update

tomt

Hi all.
I've been playing phone tag with friends that farm in northeast CO to find out how the harvest is progressing. I'll post what I learn after hearing back. In general terms, how's it looking throughout the traditional pheasant range in Colorado? Sounds like it's going to be a good one. :thumbsup:

From what I have been hearing, almost all the corn is already cut in the Yuma County area. That gives birds fewer places to hide on opening weekend, which will mean fewer birds later in the season.

I was out in Yuma county last weekend and the corn that was still standing was actively being cut. There shouldn't be anything still standing on opening day. :cheers:

I've talked to a few farmers around Burlington and they were cutting the last of their corn two weeks ago. Really looking forward to next weekend.

Another 70 degree weekend opener! Played that game too many times for a few hours of hunting per day. Just not worth it. There will be plenty of birds left for me when the weather changes a bit.Have fun and shoot straight!:cheers:

Gonna Wait a bit

My friend is still harvesting and said that although his wheat has been all cut for awhile and quite a bit of corn is down, there's still a bunch up here and there. I'll wait until he is done and things cool down a bit. His oldest is just getting big enough to start carrying a gun when she goes along and will borrow the 20gauge my father gave me when I was 10. This will be the 6th youngster that I was privileged to accompany on their first trip out whether in the field or marsh. If you're not getting the next generation out, you're not doing enough.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Another 70 degree weekend opener! Played that game too many times for a few hours of hunting per day. Just not worth it. There will be plenty of birds left for me when the weather changes a bit.Have fun and shoot straight!:cheers:

I agree 100%. I also agree with the statement about less birds being around later in the season. I like late harvests for this very reason; more birds later on. There are already plenty to be had on opening weekend.

I was in Sedgewick/Haxtun two weekends ago and saw a number of fields harvesting. Was in Julesburg and Holyoke this past weekend and didn't see much that needed to still be harvested. Looks like everyone has brought their crops in for the year. Saw a lot of pheasants btw. Scenting conditions will be tough for the dogs with the expected weather over the next few weeks, but I expect we'll see more birds than average this year.

Back